Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As i am hearing, windows 7 is almost complete and there starting the new Os is being developed. i heard 7 fixed all the problems with vista so what is going to happen to vista? i'm a bi concerned about the beta ending date as well. i love vista, at first it wasn't that good with the compatability issues but after sp1, it's been doing better. but what will happen to vista?

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BladeWarrior
View Post

As i am hearing, windows 7 is almost complete and there starting the new Os is being developed. i heard 7 fixed all the problems with vista so what is going to happen to vista? i'm a bi concerned about the beta ending date as well. i love vista, at first it wasn't that good with the compatability issues but after sp1, it's been doing better. but what will happen to vista?

I would like to think that it would be like XP and stick around since I like Vista too. Although, I don't think it will...to many people don't like Vista and it just seems that that's the entire reason that Windows 7 is coming out as fast as it is. So..It'll probably get like another year support then be gone..

·
Premium Member
16,928 Posts
vista isn't going anywhere at least for 2 or so years. considering it just started being mainstream it's still going to have support...

looks like 7 will unify the MS market again though

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I'll have my SW rep ring up MS and ask for a roadmap...

TT

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I have been wondering about this as well.

I tend to think Vista will be fased out over the next couple of years. Sort of how M$ is doing XP. Clearly Windows 7 was made to reface *woops* replace Vista, so I don't see them continuing support on the two forever.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
It will continue to be supported for a number of years. In fact, W7 and Vista share the same kernel so most W7 support updates are easily applicable to Vista.

·
Team Red Lobbyist
1,604 Posts
2 OS's ago - I had ME
1OS ago - I had XP X64 - which M$ was kind enough to inform me they did not support from the get-go (red-headed step-child)

OS now - RETAIL ($250) Vista X64 - I knew 7 was coming up, but didn't think so soon.

Will I get a discount towards 7? By the sounds of it no.

I like Vista too, but probably will switch to 7 come SP1. Going OEM this time. I agree with the others - they will be forced to support it for a number of years - but the development effort will clearly be 7 only.

Go OEM Vista 64, it's good... but not expensive enough so you'll feel hosed when 7 comes out.

·
Premium Member
8,574 Posts
LOL, I love how once the mindless masses make up their minds suddenly everyone has to put up with it. Got to love the mob market society. Poor Vista, MS released you unfinished, and by the time those minor problems were taken care of everyone labeled you a leper. I love how ignorant or plain stupid people(ie, people who tried Vista with hardware that struggled with XP) managed to pull this off.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gill.. View Post
2 OS's ago - I had ME
1OS ago - I had XP X64 - which M$ was kind enough to inform me they did not support from the get-go (red-headed step-child)

OS now - RETAIL ($250) Vista X64 - I knew 7 was coming up, but didn't think so soon.

Will I get a discount towards 7? By the sounds of it no.

I like Vista too, but probably will switch to 7 come SP1. Going OEM this time. I agree with the others - they will be forced to support it for a number of years - but the development effort will clearly be 7 only.

Go OEM Vista 64, it's good... but not expensive enough so you'll feel hosed when 7 comes out.

I think rep for me out of pity is in order! haha.....
There will be a Vista -> W7 upgrade package.

·
Premium Member
6,995 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if W7 was intended to be a SP and once MS realised that the name Vista equals bad, the made it its own OS. I like them both and plan to upgrade to W7 (if the price is right) Vista will still be supported for a few years, so nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
There will be a Vista -> W7 upgrade package.
But will this upgrade still cost a ton of money? I think they should sell the Vista>W7 upgrade for somewhere like $50 since Vista is basically new.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Timlander
View Post

But will this upgrade still cost a ton of money? I think they should sell the Vista>W7 upgrade for somewhere like $50 since Vista is basically new.

Vista will have been out over 2 1/2 years by the time W7 comes out, by Microsoft standards it is not new. The over 5 year gap between XP and Vista is not common practice of Microsoft. The typical life cycle of MS Windows OSs is about 2 to 2 1/2 years.

·
Bundling Bundler
1,881 Posts
It's a shame that Vista got such a bad rap. Was it much worse than XP when it was first released? People hated XP at first and I know a lot of companies at the time that refused to make the switch from 2000 Professional. I wasn't really a fan of Vista when it first came out, but after most of the 64-bit drivers issues were resolved and SP1 was released, I have not one problem with it.

The mob mentality really did ruin Vista. It is one of the more stable OS's I have run in a while at this point and it's just too bad that MS can't just say "hey... it's fixed". I know personally I will try to run Vista as long as possible until a very cheap upgrade path to 7 is presented.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by darklink
View Post

It's a shame that Vista got such a bad rap. Was it much worse than XP when it was first released? People hated XP at first and I know a lot of companies at the time that refused to make the switch from 2000 Professional. I wasn't really a fan of Vista when it first came out, but after most of the 64-bit drivers issues were resolved and SP1 was released, I have not one problem with it.

The mob mentality really did ruin Vista. It is one of the more stable OS's I have run in a while at this point and it's just too bad that MS can't just say "hey... it's fixed". I know personally I will try to run Vista as long as possible until a very cheap upgrade path to 7 is presented.

Yea, i did wait till SP1 was released to get Vista, and aside from a few annoying security messages and such, i really haven't had a lot of big issues with my x64 Ultimate. And yea i guess vista has been out for a while now...doesn't seem like it has been...but still i think they should sell the Vista -> W7 upgrade kit a little cheaper than previous upgrades...

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I agree they should sell it cheaper the upgrade, and even the retail windows 7 should be cheaper, because I feel everyone is very much settled with vista now, most have turned to the 64-bit version with their ram upgrades, and with some tweaking which i reckon most here have done to vista, its a solid, speedy OS. I also think that they should really have marketed what windows 7 is, as a Vista Update package on DVD and charge a $70 fee, or even call it Vista 2.0 or Vista: Evolution?

Also do we really have to shell out over $200 every 2.5 years lol, anyone read that M$ published how many bugs win 7 had? 2000 i read on a report from gamespot.com this coming from an M$ official, im glad they are listening closely to the customers feedback, how many more bugs could there be i wonder?
http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/26/w...ut-by-testers/

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Well I think we're not, its more of the fact we're all happy with vista. I mean a hardware change is different from an OS change. If most are happy with vista, as its solid now, and windows 7 is an improvement but is based and looks very much like what we have already then I think we are confused and think Why upgrade? and If we have to it should be cheaper than $200.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts