Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, This is a e-mail I got from a friend, she has dell XPS, forget exact name, but has on-board video. I might be going and seeing the problem in person, but I don't know..

The PC has Virus Software on it (Nortan, CCleaner, Spybot) all 3 have been ran.

Here is the problem,

Quote:

The problem I'm having is that it is not compatable with my video card and continues closing my browser windows usually after playing a game. ------ updated my drivers and that helped so at least my computer does not lock up anymore, but I'm still left with the window closing thing.

----- was someones name

Since they said they updated gfx, problem was some what corrected, yet windows still closing thing still exist.

Any thoughts? Help?

I havn't touched the machine yet, so i can't give try yet, I think it's a driver issue, but with the windows closing that makes me think a virus..

NOTE, not my machine, friends machine

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Antolen
View Post

it it closes her IE7 then just install firefox

Do you have another option? As I think it's Windows Explorer, meaning like My Computer and stuff. Not actually IE7, I will check though.

·
Registered
383 Posts
It's DEP most likely. Windows thinks a program or an add-on is attempting to execute codes at the memory level and it automatically shuts down that certain program/add-on to prevent the codes being executed. Quite a few people are having this problem. Now if your friend is a very experienced user I'd recommend you disable DEP completely.

It can happen when you install drivers from Windows Update, most Windows' update drivers cause conflicts with the current installed ones. It's wise to set Windows Update to manual or at least set it to NOT install Recommended Updates. At this point, I would suggest a complete removal and deep cleaning of the video driver. Use Driver Cleaner.NET or DriverSweeper. I would highly recommend the latter though it costs $9.99, it is a good investment. Then, download the latest driver from manufacturer and reinstall it.

Next, open an elevated command prompt:
Start>All Programs>Accessories, right-click on CMD.exe choose "Run as Administrator". At the prompt, type this:
sfc /scannow

Let it run and if it detects any corruptions it'll fix them. DO NOT do anything on that computer while it's running.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckySevn
View Post

It's DEP most likely. Windows thinks a program or an add-on is attempting to execute codes at the memory level and it automatically shuts down that certain program/add-on to prevent the codes being executed. Quite a few people are having this problem. Now if your friend is a very experienced user I'd recommend you disable DEP completely.

It can happen when you install drivers from Windows Update, most Windows' update drivers cause conflicts with the current installed ones. It's wise to set Windows Update to manual or at least set it to NOT install Recommended Updates. At this point, I would suggest a complete removal and deep cleaning of the video driver. Use Driver Cleaner.NET or DriverSweeper. I would highly recommend the latter though it costs $9.99, it is a good investment. Then, download the latest driver from manufacturer and reinstall it.

Next, open an elevated command prompt:
Start>All Programs>Accessories, right-click on CMD.exe choose "Run as Administrator". At the prompt, type this:
sfc /scannow

Let it run and if it detects any corruptions it'll fix them. DO NOT do anything on that computer while it's running.

What he said.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What is DEP? Also, this is onboard video, as I've never touched onboard, I might be a tad lost myself.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kilrbe3 View Post
What is DEP? Also, this is onboard video, as I've never touched onboard, I might be a tad lost myself.
Data Execution Prevention. Onboard video or not, if you installed drivers from Windows Update at least 90% chance you'll have a problem. DEP protects a computer from memory-resident malware up to an extent. For average users it should be left on. Try my suggestions above see if you can fix that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts