Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys im building a new rig and i have vista ultimate on disk can i install it on my new rig and use the same code or do i need a new code?

·
Registered
787 Posts
If it's a retail version of Ultimate you can, it it's an OEM it's limited to the first motherboard you install it on and you'll need to buy a new one - whitch if so it would just be better to download and use Windows 7 beta until the final release comes.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
Is your key OEM or retail? If its a copy that came with a prebuilt computer then its probably OEM. If its a copy you bought in store then probably retail.

If it is a retail copy then you are allowed to install on another machine.

OEM keys are tied to the MB.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Damn its OEM!

i could just get win 7 64bit beta but how long will it last and also i will need to get a 2nd hdd to back up all my files!

·
Premium Member
7,017 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristianEx
View Post

If it's a retail version of Ultimate you can, it it's an OEM it's limited to the first motherboard you install it on and you'll need to buy a new one - whitch if so it would just be better to download and use Windows 7 beta until the final release comes.

Yup, but if you bought Vista and only had the 32 bit disk then it is most likely OEM.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cool looks like al get win 7 64bit and go 4gb ram!

no all i need is a 2nd HDD aswell! dont want to lose all my stuff when august comes!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts