Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I was wondering what is the difference between the Windows Vista Upgrade and Windows Vista Full? I mean, does the Upgrade requires Windows XP just for authencity that you had XP or it upgrades your Windows XP to Vista?

·
Retired
2,445 Posts
Upgrades require that a previous version of windows be installed on the computer. Full versions do not.

·
Premium Member
7,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah but technically why does it require it? Just has a proof you had Windows XP or it's acutally upgrading Windows XP to Vista?

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,899 Posts
...Its so if you want to upgrade, you don't have to buy a new version.

If you don't have an OS on your computer and you want to install it, you can't.

·
Registered
331 Posts
In order to reinstall with the upgrade, you would have to install the windiws XP, then install vista. If you get the full version, bye XP!

·
Premium Member
7,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok then full is better right? To avoid corruptions? Or it's as good as performing a full install?

·
Retired
2,445 Posts
Its just marketing. Why should a consumer pay full price for an OS when they have been loyal to said company. Its one of the decent things M$ does, allowing one to buy an upgrade. They usually cost much less.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,899 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emmanuel
Ok then full is better right? To avoid corruptions? Or it's as good as performing a full install?
It sees you have XP, deletes it, installs Vista.

Non-upgrade version checks to make sure you rig is up to spec, then installs.

Not much to not get.

·
Premium Member
7,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll rather install a full then, so I can reformat my drive to make sure I have no conflicts with some files from my previous OS even though it was removed. Would an upgrade allow reformat though? to completly remove XP?

·
Premium Member
10,351 Posts
I'm not sure how Vista's upgrade will work, but with XP you can still do a full install with an Upgrade disk. At setup, it prompts you to insert a Microsoft Windows Operating System disk, and then setup will continue. You CAN do a full setup with an Upgrade cd.

·
Premium Member
2,687 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pook
It sees you have XP, deletes it, installs Vista.

Non-upgrade version checks to make sure you rig is up to spec, then installs.

Not much to not get.

It can be even easier than that. All you need is the cd. If you dont have an operating system like xp installed but you have the disk, during instalation of the new operating system it will ask for the old disk to make sure you have it.

·
Premium Member
7,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
awesome. okay that's what I hoped and thought, thx a lot men. My only worry now is that I'm running a wireless at home and I have a PCI Wireless Adaptater and I'm not sure if there will be any drivers supporting it on Vista. And that means if there aren't, no internet on this comp.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,899 Posts
*edit*

Beaten to it.

·
Premium Member
10,351 Posts
Haha, 3 of the same answer all within 1 minute
Smart minds think alike

·
Premium Member
7,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You guys gonna buy it as soon it hits the shelves?

·
Retired
2,445 Posts
Quote:

You guys gonna buy it as soon it hits the shelves?
No, im going to use RC1 until it expires. By that time hopefully most of the obvious bugs will be worked out and then I will consider purchasing Vista. Im happy with XP.

·
Premium Member
7,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
RC1 running good as primary OS?

·
Retired
2,445 Posts
Quote:

RC1 running good as primary OS?
Im running it as a secondary OS, only use it when im doing stuff like surfing the web, and stuff. I really like the new UI. WinXP is still my primary OS.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts