Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I know obviously Microsoft doesn't released a OSX version of VS2010, but I want to get a copy running on my mac for school...

Does anyone know if it will run in crossover? (its not listed as one of the supported microsoft products in crossover). I know it will work if I bootcamp win7 onto my MPB, but was hoping to be able to stay in OSX for simplicity if I can!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Just get Ubuntu Linux since its free and do a dual boot. Then just buy the original version of Visio 2010. Most Microsoft software but games should work on Ubuntu Linux.

Edit - The Ubuntu Linux is similar to the Mac OS X 16.X.X interface so it should be easy to use for you. I will always recommend Ubuntu Linux and Windows over Mac happily unless it's something like Vista.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't want to run linux, I want to avoid having to even dual boot if anyone can confirm that crossover will run Visual studio 2010... if I dual boot anything, it'll just be win7.

Also, you said Visio, Crossover runs that, I need to get Visual studio though (.Net development)

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sidious View Post
I don't want to run linux, I want to avoid having to even dual boot if anyone can confirm that crossover will run Visual studio 2010... if I dual boot anything, it'll just be win7.

Also, you said Visio, Crossover runs that, I need to get Visual studio though (.Net development)
Run Parallels. I'm using Visual Studio in school too but I just use their computers because I don't want to dual boot on my macbook or use parallels or lug my 7 pound gaming laptop around.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I don't think it's going to work then. You can only do a dual boot with Windows or Ubuntu Linux. I heard Ubunto Linux was a great Operating System. Also, no offense but Macs aren't really good. They're overpriced and just use a bunch of scrap parts. Apple isn't the best solution to things.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Well, if you're fine with wasting another $100-$120 on Windows 7 Home Premium with Microsoft Visio 2010, then I recommend you do that because you don't want to use Ubuntu Linux so you can save $100. Why won't you run Ubuntu Linux?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Overclocker/Gamer View Post
I don't think it's going to work then. You can only do a dual boot with Windows or Ubuntu Linux. I heard Ubunto Linux was a great Operating System. Also, no offense but Macs aren't really good. They're overpriced and just use a bunch of scrap parts. Apple isn't the best solution to things.
my MPB was 600$ cheaper then my last PC laptop and I'm much happier with the MPB.

Anyways I really just want to stay native to OSX. I use the school computers at school aswell, but sometimes on long breaks I like to do some development on my MPB, and thus looking for a solution for visual studio, as that is what we are working with right now.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ps - I get Windows and Visual studio for free through school, money is not the question here, nor is flaming Macs or anything else, just a solution to visual studio 2010 on OSX

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Quote:

my MPB was 600$ cheaper then my last PC laptop and I'm much happier with the MPB.

Anyways I really just want to stay native to OSX. I use the school computers at school aswell, but sometimes on long breaks I like to do some development on my MPB, and thus looking for a solution for visual studio, as that is what we are working with right now.
Same here I bought my Windows laptop for $1200 + tax and my MacBook for $650 on craigslist and I'm much happier. My Windows laptop may have twice the specs but it is NOT faster. It's my first Mac and I prefer it over my gaming laptop by far.

Besides that it's not what this thread is about anyway.

Quote:

ps - I get Windows and Visual studio for free through school, money is not the question here, nor is flaming Macs or anything else, just a solution to visual studio 2010 on OSX
Same here, we have to use Visual Studio 2008 for the certain class I'm in because that's what they use to grade with although they are both available for free.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Quote:

Really cause I had a triple boot on mine for a while. Snow Leopard, Windows 7 and Ubuntu. The only OS worth keeping was Windows 7 so now my mac book pro is a single boot windows 7 machine.

And no you can't run it in Wine. Your going to need virtual box/vmware or parallels with a copy of windows installed. If you want to do C++ coding though you can use Netbeans or Xcode.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, I've been using netbeans already for C++ and Java development, but I figured it wouldn't be that easy for a microsoft environment.

·
Skating Enthusiast
8,149 Posts
Run Parallels.

Buy Parallels 6 (just released) > buy copy of Windows 7 Home Premium > and install. It takes like ~30s to boot up on my Mac and less than 10s to resume from suspension.

Quote:
Also, no offense but Macs aren't really good. They're overpriced and just use a bunch of scrap parts. Apple isn't the best solution to things.
They aren't overpriced and they don't use a bunch of scrap parts...

·
Premium Member
8,616 Posts
I think you should run VMware Fusion which I find is better than Parallels.

·
Registered
812 Posts
IMHO, I believe that .NET =

Personally I would rather use Ruby on Failz than .NET that .NET compiler gives me nightmares, and if you learn programming through .NET will learn sloopy coding habits because the so called "smart compiler" takes care of your code for you.

But to get on subject
, sorry!:
1. Why would you use mac hardware to use to code .NET unless you want to run windows on mac? Which is close sourced to Windows only unless u run in wine through linux? (I don't know if wine on mac can use it, nor do i know if wine will even support it well. I know winetricks can get you .NET stuff.)

2. If you can; then why not just ssh into a windows server and run .NET through there.(Of course that is if your doing this for a company, or for school work that has a server running).

or...
3. you will have to use the dreaded linux with wine!!! WHAHHAWHAHWHAW

The only reason why I would ever use mac hardware is because I can code for anything I need with it. For close source iphone and mac dev., or for any OS with gcc/javac/jikes/g++.

**EDIT**

Oh by the way, using any vmware/parallels, or any of those type of derivate will run that IDE very slowly because you will have to setup quotas for resources to use. For speed wine or windows will be the only way to go with no performance loss.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I ended up setting up parallels with windows 7.. and its actually great for .NET development... With coherence mode, I can open Visual Studio as its own program right in OSX, its actually a pretty cool integration they have now...

and Adramalech... to clarify, I don't develop in .NET because I choose to, I do because my course is a .NET course, so its kind of required haha...

I love my mac (i could never live without my desktop PC tho)... It does everything I need and then some, and the battery on its own is a HUGE sale for me being at school all day....

Anyways, Parallels is deff a good route to go, and my MPB has the power behind it that the GUI is not really laggy at all... the only thing I see is that some of loading up times are a little slower, thats it! thanks OCN

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Quote:

Im assuming by your username that youre not old enough to be in college or actually need a laptop for school. If you did then you would understand why macbook pro is a popular choice for a laptop.

·
Premium Member
14,051 Posts
Quote:
Little Overclocker/Gamer
Please stop posting in threads of which you have no experience.

I tried running VB6 in WINE once but it wasn't happy.
Definitely the VMware/Parallels route will work lovely (as you have found out).

Also, if anybody wants a copy of VS 2010 Pro and is a student (.edu e-mail address), you can get one for free at http://www.dreamspark.com

1 - 17 of 17 Posts