Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've made rants about products before, mostly to vent frustration, this is not going in the rant section though. I am appauled at the lack of service and downright denial of a mistake on Viviteks part on a recent order.

They had a pacakge deal for a projector, projector mount, and projector screen. You had a choice of 16:9 or 4:3 screen. The projector only goes up to 800x600 natively but supports the other resolutions up to 1920x1080 in a downscaled format. We placed our order and requested the 4:3 screen of course. This is for a business environment so we can't downscale because we need to be able to read what is on the screen.

Well 2.5 weeks went by, the projector finally came, no mount or screen... 3 days later the mount and screen shows up. I get it all installed, everything is working, then I go to pull the screen down and see how everything looks. Uh-oh.. Guess what I got sent?? A 16:9 screen... So now my total area to project onto went from about 6'-7' wide to about 3'... Needless to say that is MUCH too small of an area for the projector and we simply can't have it that small as this is for a conference room and the people in the back need to be able to see what is happening.

We proceed to contact Vivitek and notify them of the mistake. The first person on the phone refused to RMA the product at all. I asked to speak with their manager, to which they forwarded me. I had a short conversation with him and explained the situation. He also told me that an RMA was unavailable. I asked him why. He told me I had contacted them by phone and requested that the 16:9 screen be sent in place of the 4:3 screen. He's right... I did contact them... Not to have the 16:9 sent, but to find out why the hell something I paid for took 2 weeks to even be shipped. He said they would allow an RMA at that point... BUT... I would not only have to pay shipping back to them, I would have to pay a re-stocking fee and then I would only have the option to recieve a REFURBISHED 4:3 screen and NOT a new one. I asked for a recording of the supposed conversation I had in which I asked the person on the other end to send the 16:9 screen and was told they didn't have to provide that information.

Never will I purchase another product from Vivitek. They have a total lack of care for their customers.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Projectors are too expensive for them to have such non existent support.

When I'm in the market for one, I will have to remember to avoid.

It's really not good for a company when their brand becomes synonymous with turds.

·
Premium Member
5,750 Posts
Note:

Never buy Vivitek - check

I think these companies underestimate word of mouth, especially with the world wide interwebs.

·
Premium Member
4,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaldari View Post
Note:

Never buy Vivitek - check

I think these companies underestimate word of mouth, especially with the world wide interwebs.
I'm not even fighting them anymore. I gave them a chance to correct their mistake and was met with so much resistance it's not even funny. If they don't want to provide good customer service, fine by me, I will make sure I let as many people as I can know.

·
Registered
329 Posts
This reminds me of an interesting statistic I once heard regarding customer feedback (relating to food industry, but you'll see the applicability here):

If a customer has a good experience at a restaurant, on average they tell one person about the good experience.

However, if a customer has a BAD experience at a restaurant, on average they tell eleven people about it.

Keeping customers happy is extremely important.

·
Premium Member
4,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by MicahFett View Post
This reminds me of an interesting statistic I once heard regarding customer feedback (relating to food industry, but you'll see the applicability here):

If a customer has a good experience at a restaurant, on average they tell one person about the good experience.

However, if a customer has a BAD experience at a restaurant, on average they tell eleven people about it.

Keeping customers happy is extremely important.
Forget keeping them happy. I would be satisfied with the company just doing right by the customer.

·
Registered
625 Posts
File a bbb claim. File a non payment through your bank, if u used a CC, most have buyers protection. Demand your money back, with no restocking fees.

·
Registered
10,400 Posts
Read the post never heard of vivitek and after that post hope i never will.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Yea, seriously this is unacceptable. You should get your money back through your bank and then it will be up to Vivitek to get their merchandise back, they'll be glad to pay shipping when they won't get a cent.

·
Registered
67 Posts
This is really unfortunate and it makes me really angry. I would spread the word, Vivitek > Never buy.

·
Premium Member
4,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by n1helix View Post
Yea, seriously this is unacceptable. You should get your money back through your bank and then it will be up to Vivitek to get their merchandise back, they'll be glad to pay shipping when they won't get a cent.
Yeah, I thought about it some more and I am giving them a second call. A fellow employee was the one who called the first time, I just listened in. Not gonna let this sit though. Either they will make it right or I will file a claim with BBB and request that my CC be refunded.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Bait-and-switch?

·
Premium Member
4,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
Bait-and-switch?
Maybe. Gonna go through the whole thing again. If they try to tell me someone called and requested the 16:9 I will just ask how they know. If they have a recording, I wanna hear the recording, if all they have is a record of the call how can they possibly be sure about the content of the call? Basically any type of evidence they have will clear up the situation. Either someone did call (unless someone out of the blue did this for some unknown reason) and request it, or they didn't.

I've got the invoice showing that we requested the 4:3 screen.

·
Premium Member
4,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by shaddix
View Post

hope you used amex to pay for it

Yeah, well too bad I didn't get to make the final decision, which was to eat it and just paint the wall instead of use a screen. Not a huge loss since this was a combo deal where you buy the projector and you get a mount and screen free, it's the principle of the whole thing. Customer service on their part is pretty much non-existant. I think they started screening calls with my area code, not only was I unable to get someone to answer the phone after my first attempt, I tried 3 different numbers and none of them got a response. I even left a voice mial as a last resort.

What goes around comes around. With service like this they won't be in business very long, I'll be glad when I try to visit their site one day and it's gone.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I just finished a projector room and I will avoid this company.

On another note does anyone know where I can buy those black pull down canvas blinds that completely block out light?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by goobergump
View Post

I just finished a projector room and I will avoid this company.

On another note does anyone know where I can buy those black pull down canvas blinds that completely block out light?

I know this thread is a little old, but i kinda just want to bump it anyways.

Anyways, I have bought a few of those black out drapes from walmart, they work pretty well, in daylight you still get light from around the edges. To fix this i imagine you would have to have them closer to the wall mine are on a curtain rod or use Velcro or something to fasten them to the wall. The actual material itself blocks out all of the light.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts