Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is VLC an ok program to use for watching Blu-Ray movies? My new bluray player didnt come with any software so ive been using VLC for dvd's for years, can i do the same with VLC for blurays? good quality? thanks

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
You can't use VLC to play back blu-rays that comes with the AACS protection (i.e. the movies you buy at the store or the movies you rent).

For this, unfortunately (for legal reasons) you have to buy a piece of software that can handle the AACS encryption/protection such as PowerDVD (or others, but I can't think of them ATM).

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh, didnt know this... thanks

·
High Clocker
3,672 Posts
If you want to use VLC then youll have to do what I do. Convert the blueray to something else first. I usually convert it to MKV, takes about 15mins on my rig and end up with a 8-15GB file depending on length of movie. So in that time I normally get some snacks ready for the movie. And for me its only a 1 time conversion since my whole blueray collection is keep on my NAS backup.
If its a rented movie then you cant do this tho, but do people even rent any more? Theres not even a place in my town that rents DVD/bluerays any more since block buster closed down 2 years ago.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmgjet View Post

... Convert the blueray to something else first...
In order to do this, you must first get around the AACS encryption/copy protection (which is still a massive grey area in terms of legality). And unfortunately any discussion of how to do this is against OCN's TOS.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i dont understand why its so hard to watch a blu-ray on a PC?? I thought that the purpose of buying a blu-ray player for my pc was to "WATCH" videos, i had ZERO idea it was this involved. thanks everyone for your input.. I did buy PowerDVD 14 tho, so hopefully that will do something for me.

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
6,269 Posts
you can use xbmc with makemkv you just have to install makemkv http://www.makemkv.com/download/ and then install xbmc and then open xbmc and go to Videos > Video Add-Ons > BluRay Player with MakeMKV and you should be able to watch bluerays how ever you need atleast 50gb of space on your hard drive as it rips the movie as you watch it

you can also just use makemkv to convert your bluerays and then just watch them with vlc

1 - 7 of 7 Posts