Overclock.net banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 1476 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UPDATE: 8/28/10 - Figured I should add this to the original post, as of right now -bigadv is disabled for Linux. I can only assume Stanford will bring it back but there is no time frame. In the mean time I recommend running the Windows SMP client in order to keep getting -bigadv work units.

Windows SMP Guide

I also added version 1.3 of the image. It's TPF is about even with the Windows client except there is no bonus points. I will update this thread when -bigadv returns for Linux.

Update 12/4/10

Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxfah View Post
For those that prefer Linux environment (like myself), I updated the image with wine support for running bigadv in Linux.

I also added 32-bit uni-processor support with the ability fire off multiple uni work units at once. I sometimes like to run multiple uni cores at once to support the science and it is somewhat of a PIA to setup and startup a bunch of clients in Windows for multi-core.

I did some testing of different configs for bigadv here:

Link
-------------------

Picture guide is in post 2. Please follow post 2 for now, I need to update this guide since there are still parts of the guide that only apply to the old versions. Everyone should be using 1.1 or 1.2. I will try to get this up to date by Monday.

-- Intro --

This guide will allow folders to fold on 8 cores running VMWare Player 3.0 while running the -bigadv flag for maximum PPD.

So why fold using this vs notfreds VM or any of the other images? Well you can now use just 1 VM for an i7, no more running 2-4 VMs. Also, I used to average 8,000PPD running 4x notfreds VM images. Currently I am getting 9,000PPD running 1920 point units and 11,000PPD running the -bigadv flag. Keep in mind I was running on 8 cores and now I am getting more PPD on 7 cores. So 1 less core folding but 1,000-3,000 more ppd depending on flags is a substantial increase. The kicker with running this is after 10 work units you will get bonus points for running the -bigadv flag. You can use the bonus calculator under the Tips and Tricks section to find out what kind of bonus points you will get.

For example, my computer @ 4Ghz running on 7 cores gets me a TPF of ~33.5min. This is how it breaks down using linuxrouter's calculator.

The PPD when factoring in the bonus is insane compared to what I used to get.

I recommend reading this whole guide before starting, it will help with any questions you may have. I am no Linux guru, but I don't mind trying to help others on here. Any of the other Linux folders on here, feel free to chip in on info, help, etc.

-- Setup Instructions --

To run the bigadv flag you will need an i7 or SMP setup with 8+ cores. The minimum memory requirement to run this is 6GB, anything less will cause headaches for you or problems with the VM. Please remember that folding with bigadv is still experimental, but the benefits out weigh the negatives.

Due to the fact that this image will push your CPU to the max, please make sure your overclock is 100% stable. I thought my previous overclock was stable but it crashed after several hours of folding. So I recommend keeping an eye on your pc and monitoring temps the first few hours just in case.

Download links:

Current Versions

Version 1.1 (or newer) is now needed to get bigadv work units. I have confirmed this with my sig rig and user linuxfah confirmed it also.

Linux FAH Image v1.3 ~35MB

VMWare Player 3.0 Mirror (Filehippo.com)
-- Make sure you click on version 3.0.0 under old versions then click Download.

VMWare Player 3.0 ~89MB

Make sure you use 3.0.0, version 3.0.1 only supports 4 cores for some reason. Please use the filehippo mirror or make sure you are downloading 3.0.0 (3.0) from VMWare's website.

All recent VM images are compressed with 7zip due to better compression of the VM. Here is the download link.

OLD Versions
Linux FAH Image v1.1 (Includes folding client 6.29)

The setup is fairly simple and quick even if you have zero linux experience.

1) Install VMWare Player 3.0 with the standard options.

2) Download and unzip the image. Make sure you have at least 4GB free in the storage location.

3) Start up VMWare Player

4) In VMware click File >> Open to open a Virtual Machine

5) Go to the location where you put the image and double click on the Linux64_FAH.vmx file.

6) The VMX file is configured to use 8 processors and 4600MB memory. Before starting the VM machine, you have the option to "Edit virtual machine settings" and adjust RAM. 4600MB seemed to work okay for me but you may want to allocate more memory just to make sure the client has what it needs. Double click on the name "Linux64_FAH" to start the virtual machine.

I am currently running on 7 cores (leaving 1 for my gpu clients). It is recommended to bump the memory up to 4600MB-5000MB when folding with -bigadv on 8 cores as they require a lot of memory.

7) Wait for Linux to boot. You will see a command prompt. Just above, there are instructions on how to setup FahMon. The system will attempt to get an IP by DHCP and will tell you that IP address.

8) Once it is ready you will be prompted for the login, login with the following:

FAH Login: fah
Password: fah1234

9) From version 0.2 and newer there is a web config that can be used to setup the client.

When you first boot up the virtual machine it will tell you the HTTP address. The format should be:

http://ip/

where IP is the IP address assigned to the virtual machine.

Enter your username, team id, and passkey here and then click Submit.

You WILL need a pass key, you can get it from the link below.

http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/getpasskey.py

When you have done that, shutdown the web service with this command:

v0.4 or newer:

Code:

Code:
web disable
This is optional but will save some memory and also close down the web port for security. I haven't had any issues leaving it running with 5,000MB set for ram.

Start fah6 with this command in the virtual machine:

Code:

Code:
./fah6 -bigadv -smp x
Substitute x for the amount of threads you want to fold with.

-- Bonus point requirements --

1) At least 10 Core A2 work units must be completed. You can use the 1,920 or 25,403 point work units.
2) A passkey must be used.
3) At least 80% of Core A2 work units must be completed in time.

-- Example i7 Build --

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...umber=10080154

Something like this rig could get close to 30k PPD with the GPU and CPU (running -bigadv). If your looking to build a budget i7, get the cpu at Microcenter for $200, if you have one local. Another option is to check the open box i7 mobos, you can typically save $50 on the mobo in this build, more on some of the other boards. All this rig needs is some fans for the Megahalems heatsink.

-- Tips/Tricks --

Updating this, it will return soon.

- Fix Clock Drift

Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxfah View Post
For the clock drift, you can enable ntpd either via the web or via the console. NTPD will periodically sync the clock with an NTP server. For the console:

chmod 755 /etc/rc.d/rc.ntpd ; /etc/rc.d/rc.ntpd start

You can also switch console with ALT+F2 to update the clock without having to stop the work unit. ALT+F1 takes you back to the console with the folding client if you started the client via the console.
- Backup Script

Tired of losing work units? Check out THIS backup script.

-- GNU License --

The Linux image software is covered under the GNU General Public License Version 2.

-- Change Log --

Change Log

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Visual guide for setting up the virtual machine

The guide is basically an updated version of the one above, but with pictures. I used version 1.2 of the virtual machine image for this guide.

Linux FAH Image v1.2 (Includes folding client 6.29) ~37MB

Step 1:

Extract the 7zip archive to somewhere on your hard drive. I used C:\\ and changed the folder name a bit so I know which VM is which.

Step 2:

Now open VMWare player. Then click File // Open a Virtual Machine and locate the Linux64_FAH.vmx file from the folder in step one.

Step 3:

Fell free to edit the virtual machine settings if needed. Maybe tweak the name so you know which one is use for the CC. Now click Play virtual machine to start the VM.

Once it has started you will see this screen. Take note of the IP address (its setup for DHCP).

Step 4:

Now open up your web browser of choice and type the IP address of the Virtual Machine. This is how I have it setup for my setup.

To get your folding passkey, go HERE.

How to Monitor the VM

I recommend HFM since it will automatically add in the bonus points when it gives you PPD.

Set your monioring software to look at one of these two locations. Substitute IP for the IP address of the VM if you specified a specific IP address (client defaults to DHCP).

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SniperXX View Post
No one?
I don't think many people have i7s (on avg) once 8 cores/threads is a common thing then people will start using the -bigadv flag. This thread is good to have for those upgrading or thinking about it.

·
Banned
13,823 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MAD_J View Post
I don't think many people have i7s (on avg) once 8 cores/threads is a common thing then people will start using the -bigadv flag. This thread is good to have for those upgrading or thinking about it.
A crap load of people have i7s.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
err.......... i would od this but my cpu cooler is well bad.... looks like pure sex.... but bad.... im going water soon, nice small cpu only loop, one thats done i'll do this

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnDProb View Post
err.......... i would od this but my cpu cooler is well bad.... looks like pure sex.... but bad.... im going water soon, nice small cpu only loop, one thats done i'll do this
Thats my thing. I have some basic water cooling parts, hopefully I can get my case modded this weekend and be back up folding. 8 Cores at 4Ghz no matter what VM drives my temps to the high 70s with my V8, too bad I dont have a Mega or TRUE.

I'm also trying to build a small box with spare parts for general web surfing/light gaming. Darn folding addiction. Cant wait for my 9800GX2 to arrive.

·
Premium Member
21,169 Posts
Once I get my main rig back up I'll give this a shot!

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
no one on OCN can be considered average when it comes to computers, most of us would give a kidney for a gtx 300 or fermi or core i9 or ati 6870 (i'm guessing in 6 months or so this will be the latest uber ati card), in fact some of us would commit murder for it.... myself included

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by xxbassplayerxx View Post
Once I get my main rig back up I'll give this a shot!
Cool, nice to see someone jumping on this. Its serious points. With enough of us i7 guys we can really boost our PPD.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
sniper if you want stable with ht on up the voltage to 1.38 v

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
I wonder...

Can I run -bigadv with a 3,57GHz Q6600 and 4GB of RAM? Using all 4 cores and 3072MB.

If not, what should be the best option for max PPD?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
5,123 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eastrider
View Post

I wonder...

Can I run -bigadv with a 3,57GHz Q6600 and 4GB of RAM? Using all 4 cores and 3072MB.

give it a try? If it can be accomplished just in time for the deadlines, it would be worth doing.

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
I'd give this a shot if I had an i7. Maybe it's time to pick up the x3440. You mentioned getting 8k with 4vm's? At what speed was that? It seems terribly low for running 8 threads. I get over 8k on my i5.

That seems like some huge bonus points. Is it after every 10 wu's or after everyone? Care to explain a little more how the points work?

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by k4m1k4z3
View Post

give it a try? If it can be accomplished just in time for the deadlines, it would be worth doing.

Currently I'm on -smp 4 for the 10 WUs. On 1920s I get 1% every 5 minutes, and 5200PPD... when before I had around 3900, so my face right now is :U

Also the deadlines are for 16th... and the WUs get completed in ~9-10 hours. So, if will take me around 5 days to get 10 WUs completed. Then, I'll try -bigadv... and will update here

Edit: 56% RAM usage. Not bad (also running GPU clients)

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnDProb
View Post

sniper if you want stable with ht on up the voltage to 1.38 v

I dropped to 4Ghz for HT @ 1.3v stable. Atleast its FAH stable, temps are high 70s with my V8.

Quote:

View Post

I wonder...

They recommend 8 cores just to make sure its done on time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikecdm
View Post

I'd give this a shot if I had an i7. Maybe it's time to pick up the x3440. You mentioned getting 8k with 4vm's? At what speed was that? It seems terribly low for running 8 threads. I get over 8k on my i5.

That seems like some huge bonus points. Is it after every 10 wu's or after everyone? Care to explain a little more how the points work?

When I ran 4VM I was at 3.2 on my old C0. I'll try 4 VMs tonight if I remember and get a better comparison up since I still have the old notfred VMs.

After you do 10 work units running regular SMP units, then close the client then restart running the -bigadv flag. These work units are MUCH larger and take longer. Due to that fact, they offer the bonus points to get people to do them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ctrl_Alt_Delete
View Post

this is awesome once i get my mega tomorrow is going to be a foldathon. thanks for the guide

No problem. I'll try to keep this up to date with linuxrouter's original guide.

Quote:

View Post

5400PPD...

Is it normal it's been increasing ~100 PPD every 2% completed the last half hour?

I'd let it run for awhile could be FAHMon or whatever still calculating. Keep us updated on how it runs on a quad. I'm tempted to rebuild my Q6600 and see what it does running this at 3.6Ghz or so.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
5,123 Posts
I am also trying it on my quad. error10's ran slow for me anyway and hung for a couple hours between units... I hope the performs better.

1 - 20 of 1476 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.