Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We deal with several clients who's network we do not control. I would like to find/make a VPN server that can sit on the network with our products and allow me to VPN into it for service. I was planning on using a RasberryPi but mst solutions require port forwarding. I am learning I will need to implement a reverse SSH Tunnel but that's where I start to get confused. I am looking into tinc but would like some advice/to be pointed in the right direction on this. Pic below depicts desired outcome.

I am not looking to become a savant on this . . right now I'm looking to solve a problem. I would love to learn the in's and out's of all this but I have waay too many things to do right now and just need a solution. Thank you.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
Just run a VPN server on the router in the network you want to connect to and generate the necessary certificates for connecting with the proper program from your end of things, be that a laptop or desktop computer. Then you only need to connect to the networks IP on the port the VPN is using and it will work. VPNs on the router usually have some sort of wizard to guide you through as well making it much easier than generating all your own stuff from command lines.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just run a VPN server on the router in the network you want to connect to and generate the necessary certificates for connecting with the proper program from your end of things, be that a laptop or desktop computer.
We don't own the network . . often times it's a large residential building and we cant get ports opened etc. In the past we have used teamviewer to an on-site computer but we are trying to get away from that.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Im assuming you have a static IP,

if so, use the Pi's like you thought but have the PI start the tunnel and have it allways on, this way, PI boots, Starts a VPN to your jump box, you VPN to your jump box and VIOLA your done. If you are feeling funky, have the PI call every 5 seconds to a web server, and have it start the VPN when it sees content on the server. This way its not on all the time.

Dont have the PI VPN straight into yourself though, elsewise you have a 24/7 connection from a dirty network into yourself

Not great, you will end up like target ;)

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
if you're needing remote access, you'd need something along the lines of the web version, Join.me or Chrome offers a version of Team Viewer, if you need something quick like that.

If you're needing something more hefty , you can look into a Console switch: Avocent or OpenGear is a good option.

we have a few of our clients at my DC using both of these.

are they standard desktops or servers?

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if you're needing remote access, you'd need something along the lines of the web version, Join.me or Chrome offers a version of Team Viewer, if you need something quick like that.

If you're needing something more hefty , you can look into a Console switch: Avocent or OpenGear is a good option.

we have a few of our clients at my DC using both of these.

are they standard desktops or servers?
Neither . . . need to access control processors, touchpanels, etc. I need network access like i would from a std VPN. Worst case I need desktop access and have a NUC on-site to to the heavy lifting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts