Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so ever since I got my new rig months ago (specs in sig), I've been unable to play any games at all. What happens is I get a BSoD or just a black screen, or a scrambled screen. For BattleFront II, I get a VPU error (though I don't have Catalyst installed atm so I don't get an error report when I try to test it now). I have the latest ATI drivers, and have used DriverCleaner as well as reinstalling/reformatting XP completely to no avail.

The computer works fine normally, but crashes in games. What should I do? Spend 168 bucks on a 6800GS? Is this fixable? Im pretty sure I'm not overheating too. It should also be noted that for some reason dual channel caused serious problems with my system.

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
Is anything overclocked? If so, try taking it back down to stock speeds. If that's not the problem, what is the power output of the 12v rail on your psu?
Also, have you checked that your system is stable? Maybe you need a bit more voltage to the cpu/memory or your memory timings might be too tight.

·
Administrator
64,361 Posts
To me that sounds like a failing PSU there its not giving your G-card or other componants the required power all the time..Also like said above make sure that there is enough voltage getting to your Ram and or Cpu. Also if you ar oc'ed this will put strain on your Psu or you could have a slightely unstable oc if so revise it a little..To check your systems stability get a program called ''Prime 95''

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not OC'ed and how do I find out the output of my 12v rail and what is generally considered a good output (I'm not really well-read in PSUs). My PSU is nothing special, 500w thing that came with the case.

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alman9898

I'm not OC'ed and how do I find out the output of my 12v rail and what is generally considered a good output (I'm not really well-read in PSUs). My PSU is nothing special, 500w thing that came with the case.

There should be a sticker on the psu with the outputs on it.
The generic ones that come with cases sometimes have these problems. On a psu that can deliver near its rated output, 18A should be sufficient to run this card.

Do you have a way of testing the PC without the GFX card ie. a spare one of lower spec? If so try it and if you don't get these problems it's likely to be the psu.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I don't think I can RMA it since I didn't buy it online, but I guess then it would be worth buying a new card then instead?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts