Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,616 Posts
Q1 2009 = RV870? What are they smoking!?

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RallyMaster View Post
HD5800 makes this HD4850 owner sad.
what you said

seems there isn't really a point to Crossfire tbh

·
Why is it smoking?
4,037 Posts
DX11 in Q1? ATI is really pushing to keep the "first to market" crown.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NrGx View Post
Q1 2009 = RV870? What are they smoking!?
Same as everyone else.. Q1 09 has been stated for RV870 for quite a while, and coincides well with ATI's stated 6-month lifetime for their high-end product before being relegated to the lower brackets.

·
Streamer
476 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bowman View Post
Same as everyone else.. Q1 09 has been stated for RV870 for quite a while, and coincides well with ATI's stated 6-month lifetime for their high-end product before being relegated to the lower brackets.

Was just about to say the same it has been 6 months at that time so it does make sense.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
My new 24" monitor is arriving probably this week and I'll need to replace my 9600GT to game at its native res. Seeing that roadmap makes me want to upgrade to a 4870X2 just so I can be guaranteed at least a year before it's superseded by the 5870X2, but I'm gonna need a new PSU in that case.

The monitor upgrade is gonna cost me more than I had expected

·
Premium Member
15,202 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alexgheseger
View Post

Wait a second, am i reading this correctly?

The 5870 is going to be on a MCM package, (therefore two chips) and the 5870x2 is dual-MCM (so... 4 chips?)

If this is right, yeah. 1 5870 core is 2 4870 cores stacked vertically in some sort of cooling contraption we have never seen before and modified for extreme power.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
The HD4800 was awsomly awsome, but horribly power hungry. I wonder how the 40nm in the HD5800 range will be. If I can get a card that draws less power but performs better than my 9600GT I'll get it. I definelty want to go back to red

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I like Nvidias plan...get a new card at Q1 then the next 2 quarters play your loyal fans for fools releasing a 40nm of the Q1 card (instead of going to that from Q1) and then at Q4 make your new card with Dx11 to compete with AMDx2

Meanwhile ATI brings the new tech out from Q1 has time to fully test te cards out and releases the x2 card just in time to bomb nvidias new card :/

Come on Nvidia bring your new tech from the start instead of playing us for fools

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Firann
View Post

I like Nvidias plan...get a new card at Q1 then the next 2 quarters play your loyal fans for fools releasing a 40nm of the Q1 card (instead of going to that from Q1) and then at Q4 make your new card with Dx11 to compete with AMDx2

Meanwhile ATI brings the new tech out from Q1 has time to fully test te cards out and releases the x2 card just in time to bomb nvidias new card :/

Come on Nvidia bring your new tech from the start instead of playing us for fools

Except for the fact that this roadmap is rumor based and most likely won't be anywhere near real timeframe. Especially considering that TSMC said that 40nm will be ready in Q2 in a best case scenario.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nowyn View Post
Except for the fact that this roadmap is a rumor based and most likely won't be anywhere near real timeframe. Especially considering that TSMC said that 40nm will be ready in Q2 in a best case scenario.
Following recent practices even TSMC stalling this process wont actually affect the plan (if it has some truth to it).

Think of it this way... It will actually PROMOTE nvidias plan. Why? Simple since they can't come out with the 40nm, instead of just testing more for a better product they will release the 55nm version until TSMC is ready to produce their 40nm version ;P

1 - 20 of 20 Posts