Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
A couple of weeks ago we reported that Intel's upcoming Sandy Bridge-E processor and Waimea Bay platform had been delayed until January 2012. New information has reached us that suggest that Intel is trying very hard to get the new platform out this year, although this means that the company will axe a lot of platform features.

Judging by the information we've seen, Intel is having several issues with the new platform, ranging from storage, to PCI Express and apparently even CPU revisions. It's pretty much bad news all around. But let's take a step back and look at things with a view from Intel's Xeon roadmap. The picture below is from a partner presentation and although it's been seen before, we're going to leave that partner un-named as we don't want to get them in any trouble. As you can see, it details four different chipset SKUs for Patsburg,- A, -B, -D and -T. The X79 chipset is known as Patsburg-X and was meant to be similar in terms of features to the Patsburg-D SKU.
patsburg.jpg

http://vr-zone.com/articles/intel-might-yet-get-sandy-bridge-e-out-this-year/12991.html

Sorry if this is a repost... It's my first news thread. (And I did search!)

·
Registered
812 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cmdr.Shephard
View Post

Would it worth to wait for SB-E or go for the first gen SB what would be the BIG difference?

good question.
Im looking to upgrade to Sandy Bridge end of the Summer.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Nice. Though for 90% of gaming setups CPUs really don't need to get much better than a 2600k.

Now if TSMC can gets its act together on 28nm so next gen GPUs can come out, that will be more interesting.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoulin
View Post

Well if you take a look at how well SB is performing right now I think it is safe to say that upgrading now is worth it, it will last a long time I would think.

Agreed.

With AMD's ongoing delay of Bulldozer I think an upgrade to SB is looking more and more tempting for me.

Also with the Ivy Bridge 6 cores being compatible with 1155 motherboards I know I will have a decent upgrade path from a 2500k/2600k.

·
Premium Member
10,558 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Armand Hammer
View Post

Agreed.

With AMD's ongoing delay of Bulldozer I think an upgrade to SB is looking more and more tempting for me.

Also with the Ivy Bridge 6 cores being compatible with 1155 motherboards I know I will have a decent upgrade path from a 2500k/2600k.

Pretty sure the 6 cores will be socket 2011 while 1155 will stay mainstream, never know till things get closer though...

·
Banned
12,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmdr.Shephard;14250616
Would it worth to wait for SB-E or go for the first gen SB what would be the BIG difference?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekromantik;14250643
good question.
Im looking to upgrade to Sandy Bridge end of the Summer.
Depends on what you're using your computer for primarily. The majority of OCN seems oriented towards gaming, and at this point most games are GPU-bound, not CPU-bound (unless you're going tri/quad SLI/CF). So if you're planning on gaming, I wouldn't bother waiting for SB-E. However, if you're using heavily multi-threaded apps and maxing your CPU out, then it might be worth the wait.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lordikon
View Post

Depends on what you're using your computer for primarily. The majority of OCN seems oriented towards gaming, and at this point most games are GPU-bound, not CPU-bound (unless you're going tri/quad SLI/CF). So if you're planning on gaming, I wouldn't both waiting for SB-E. However, if you're using heavily multi-threaded apps and maxing your CPU out, then it might be worth the wait.

Agreed 100%

·
Banned
1,950 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Armand Hammer
View Post

Agreed.

No, A 4CORE CPU will be supported, not the 6 cores.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoulin
View Post

Well if you take a look at how well SB is performing right now I think it is safe to say that upgrading now is worth it, it will last a long time I would think.

Well considering my Core 2 Quad system is still kicking strongly I'd say this gen of SB will be more than enough for 4 years. I know I'm upgrading within a month or so.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.