Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the height of the VR001 set of heatsinks from Arctic Cooling? I'm only looking for sinks for my memory chips on my 5850 since the card came without any. One of the chips only has about 5mm clearance to the heat pipe above it and currently the shortest sinks I've found are 9mm which will fit on all other chips except that one under the heat pipe. I can't spend the money on a GPU heatsink with the extra clearance nor do I plan to get a new card soon.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, so if I can't find any heatsinks shorter than 5mm would it be bad to put sinks on all but that one chip?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Nah mem chips are just getting too hot now, need at least some passive cooling. Did you have a twin turbo pro per chance? Placement of the heatpipes is not ideal on that.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Think i found the one you mean. Thats pretty poor form from xfx tbh.

I chopped up some aluminium ramsinks today, was pretty easy. You should be able to shave off fins etc in order to get them to fit under that heatpipe.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I'm going to recommend shaving the top off. Tape down some sandpaper and shave to suit.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep that's exactly what I was thinking. I'll have to find some time on a weekend to do that.

I was thinking I might try out these: Enzotech BMR-C1
But how difficult will it be to sand them down? With those I think I'll have to shorten 2. If it's too difficult then I'll just get Enzotech BCC9 since they are the shortest I've found and I should only have to shorten one of those.
Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Well if you saw the temps i was getting in my review with thermal tape, just playing around in trixx got me to 1000/1200 easily, not sure at what point memory increases start to degrade performance though

1 - 12 of 12 Posts