Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard from another user that low end amd boards tend to have a high vrm failure rate when overclocking, and i have heard elsewhere that vrm heatsinks will eliminate this issue. my cpu has a tdp of 95w and i want to overclock my cpu from 2.8 to atleast 3.8 to prevent a bottleneck when i get my new card (7850)

·
Premium Member
4,157 Posts
Any low-end Motherboard has this issue.
wink.gif

VRM heatsinks won't fix everything. If the phase isn't enough to power the cpu when overclocked, then it will fail regardless.

As for suggestions, we need more information before making them.

Fill out the system info in your profile.

·
Registered
455 Posts
It's not unique to AMD boards, but yesveithout active cooling VRMs can fail with overclocking. I had that happen to me actually a few months ago. Some cheap VRM heat sinks like [=these[/]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835708011&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Memory+++Chipset+Cooling-_-Enzotech-_-35708011]these[/] go a long way.

That said, if you don't have a fan blowing directly at the motherboard and vrm area you may still have problems.

I had a 980BE @ 4.2ghz and I still managed to bottleneck my 7870 when it was over locked. Not sure about the 7850 though. After my vrm meltdown (yes I had a mossfet literally melt into the board) I went LGA2011 and never looked back. Damn expensive, but my card now runs ~20% faster in game and I have no worries about xfire (once I can afford a second card).

·
No.2 in Gaming
1,936 Posts
hello,
i think its more the power phase issue,i have a 6+2 power phase and am using an 8 core,it should be a 6 core cpu and it fails overclocking due to wrong power phase.
if you put an 8150 in to a 4+1 power phase mobo,your looking at a fire.

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
The 7850 is an x2 dual core, so you're not looking at power loads near that of 95-125W quad cores and hexa cores - on which the majority of failures on incapable boards have been observed. What is your board?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
msi 870-s g46 with a phenom ii x4 830 overclock from 2.8 to 2.9 XD lol the 2.9 thing was just an experiment. but i need a card that can handle games at ultra at 50 fps so im looking at the 7850. im just boggled by the whole power phase thing you guys mentioned? ( 4+1 etc. ) and it would really suck to shell out money on a card like that to have it bottleneck.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPerforations View Post

hello,
i think its more the power phase issue,i have a 6+2 power phase and am using an 8 core,it should be a 6 core cpu and it fails overclocking due to wrong power phase.
if you put an 8150 in to a 4+1 power phase mobo,your looking at a fire.
What your saying is not how it works at all... There are plenty of strong 4+1 phase boards.

Please refer to this thread to get more info on amd motherboards and their vrms
http://www.overclock.net/t/946407/amd-motherboard-vrm-information-list

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the board said that it is made to handle overclocking, and so do some reviews, but im still a little worried

·
OG AMD
8,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bracewar593 View Post

msi 870-s g46 with a phenom ii x4 830 overclock from 2.8 to 2.9 XD lol the 2.9 thing was just an experiment. but i need a card that can handle games at ultra at 50 fps so im looking at the 7850. im just boggled by the whole power phase thing you guys mentioned? ( 4+1 etc. ) and it would really suck to shell out money on a card like that to have it bottleneck.
Uh yeah, that board is a burner. Just look at the links in XD_1771's signature a few post back.^.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Msi boards usually aren't the greatest when it comes to overclocking, especially the lower end ones (non x90 series types) they have no vrm protection such as throttling to protect them, and usually have no vrm cooling either. A large number of msi boards have high failure rates.

I would not overclock with that board.

·
Premium Member
15,112 Posts
I wouldn't OC much on that board..but..you're running a phenom2 x 4 830..correct?
oh..how to show your sig:
go to "My profile"
"edit signature text"
then look down @ the bottom
I have a 4+1 phase board coming..and I'm going to try to clock the dogsnot out of whatever I can with it
tongue.gif

..just hope that asrock vrm sink fits..I bet it will
biggrin.gif

1 - 13 of 13 Posts