Overclock.net banner
3701 - 3720 of 3733 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,701 ·
Seems I can no longer EDIT the main page since the site upgrade...

New MSI motherboard is MAG B550 TORPEDO, seems like a cut down version of Tomahawk.

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
Seems I can no longer EDIT the main page since the site upgrade...

New MSI motherboard is MAG B550 TORPEDO, seems like a cut down version of Tomahawk.
nice to have you back again. your duty has not yet finished

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,703 ·
Seems someone fixed the edit issue at some point.

Could start updating again.

Either way I only added more Gigabyte for now and it looks like they have decided to forego the doublers on their boards and do direct "twin design" that the other board partners have done earlier.
Seems the doublers did nothing and only added cost at this point in time when using the DrMOS components.
They are refereed to V2 in their line-up.

They updated some B450, A320 & B550 motherboards in general what looks like cost cutting measures on the VRM otherwise if not doing V2 boards.
Like changing the VRM from older 4+3 [1x2+1x1] to a new 4+2 [1x2+2x2] design.
I'm not sure what is the controller used on the new 6-phase boards on the older chipset.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,704 · (Edited)
ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero

14+2 TI power stages rated for 90A, passive chipset heatsink.

Otherwise ASUS has done some updates on their older B450 motherboards and released several II versions.

·
Banned
1,957 Posts
That Dark Hero is the most pointless upgrade possible.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,706 ·
That Dark Hero is the most pointless upgrade possible.
To be honest I would have probably bought this version if if was available at launch rather then the expensive Aorus Xtreme.
I really didn't want any fans on the motherboard.

·
Banned
1,957 Posts
To be honest I would have probably bought this version if if was available at launch rather then the expensive Aorus Xtreme.
I really didn't want any fans on the motherboard.
Yeah, true, it's better than the regular Hero, but it's not much of an upgrade for people who already own a Hero or better. :p

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,708 ·

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,709 ·

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,710 ·

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,711 ·
Biostar B550M-SILVER Ver. 5.x

6+4 VRM?

Biostar A520MH Ver. 6.1

4+3 VRM.

• Rep+
Reactions: Heuchler

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello
I really need advice in choosing a motherboard, I can not decide, please tell me.
There are two options that differ in the element base of the vrm power supply, as far as I can judge from the subtracted, I would like to understand which is better (wifi, in principle, is not needed) Maybe there are some alternative options, but the choice is predominantly from these two based on the data below

GIGABYTE B550 AORUS PRO \ V2 \ AC \ AX
MSI MPG B550 GAMING CARBON WIFI

I would also like to understand which is preferable to Gigabyte B550 Pro or Gigabyte B550 Pro v2

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,713 ·
Hello
I really need advice in choosing a motherboard, I can not decide, please tell me.
There are two options that differ in the element base of the vrm power supply, as far as I can judge from the subtracted, I would like to understand which is better (wifi, in principle, is not needed) Maybe there are some alternative options, but the choice is predominantly from these two based on the data below

GIGABYTE B550 AORUS PRO \ V2 \ AC \ AX
MSI MPG B550 GAMING CARBON WIFI

I would also like to understand which is preferable to Gigabyte B550 Pro or Gigabyte B550 Pro v2
The gigabyte V2 is a newer version. But otherwise not much different, should perform identical.

MSI or Gigabyte, just your preference on vendor & features offered if they are similar price.

Wi-Fi 6 offers Bluetooth in-built, if you have wireless headphones, it can be a useful feature rather than the Wi-Fi directly. But you always add cost with the Wi-Fi versions. Depends on your budget.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The gigabyte V2 is a newer version. But otherwise not much different, should perform identical.

MSI or Gigabyte, just your preference on vendor & features offered if they are similar price.

Wi-Fi 6 offers Bluetooth in-built, if you have wireless headphones, it can be a useful feature rather than the Wi-Fi directly. But you always add cost with the Wi-Fi versions. Depends on your budget.
Thank you for answering, if you do not look at wifi modules and the differences in sound cards, what would you personally prefer based on the quality of these motherboards and the features of vrm? (I've always used only motherboards from Gigabyte, I wanted to try something else, but I can't choose and I'm afraid to be disappointed)

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,715 ·

·
Registered
715 Posts
Could start updating again
Fix ASRock B550 Extreme4 info. It has RA229004 PWM controller (6+2), not ISL69138
(most likely Steel Legend and Velocita as well )
Passive circuit component Circuit component Hardware programmer Font Electronic engineering

And power stages info incorrect as well. There are 12 SiC654 (core 6x2 phases) and 2 SiC654A (soc 2 phases), not SiC634.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,717 · (Edited)
Fix ASRock B550 Extreme4 info. It has RA229004 PWM controller (6+2), not ISL69138
(most likely Steel Legend and Velocita as well )
View attachment 2484428

And power stages info incorrect as well. There are 12 SiC654 (core 6x2 phases) and 2 SiC654A (soc 2 phases), not SiC634.
Good that you have new information.

Might it be a cause of they have updated the design since launch? New board revision?
Was some time ago that I added the information for this specific board and can't recall where I had it from first.
Most likely some other boards might have this design also but will wait to update until I find some confirmation that they do.

Thanks for the image!

EDIT: Found another confirmation to your data

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,718 ·
NZXT has made their first AMD AM4 motherboards:

White:
Black:

No idea on VRM.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,719 ·
A DC 19V motherboard from Gigabyte. May be interesting to you doing SFF builds. This requires only a 19V brick to run.

Should work well with the APU's, as the board only has 4+1 VRM? 55A Dr.MOS.
SO-DIMM slots for memory.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello, I wanted to ask you if here on the forum there is a similar discussion with all the vrm of Intel cards listed, like the first post of this discussion that I find very useful and I congratulate those who created it .. thanks a lot

3701 - 3720 of 3733 Posts