Overclock.net banner
41 - 60 of 3725 Posts

·
Top kek
3,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WallySimmonds View Post

I'm thinking about getting the Taichi, but I'm just wondering what CPU to pair with it. Have ordered the 1700x but is there much point - should i just go with the 1700?
If everything goes well, i am gettin the Taichi or the Killer for MB, and the 1700 for CPU. No reason to get XFR cpu,as i can manually overclock, saves me quite the money.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaC View Post

By 12+4 true phases you mean that it has 6+2 doubled by IR3598 , IR3599 or some other frequency divider as on the Intel OC Formula boards?

If you can affirm that it is the same VRM as on the Z170 OC Formula and Z270 Formula (basically tried and true since Z77/Z87/Z97) it would net AsRock many more buyers of the board since the CH VI Hero is plagued with BIOS issues according to early reports, although oddly enough the ASUS X370-Pro does not nearly have as many complaints.
Many of the cheap boards are using 4+3 or 6+3 for the phase count. The first portion is for CPU, second portion is for SOC not memory

X370 Taichi 12+4 phases
VRM controller : IR35201
Driver : IR3598.
Mosfet : Ti87350_40A
Choke : 0.22uH 60A

yes this is 6+2 doubled by IR3598 .

·
Top kek
3,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickshih View Post

X370 Taichi 12+4 phases

Soo what are the pro's and con's of doubled phases?

I presume bigger max load per phase, but they share the same VRM, meaning worse voltage delivery (ripple)?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ku4eto View Post

Soo what are the pro's and con's of doubled phases?

I presume bigger max load per phase, but they share the same VRM, meaning worse voltage delivery (ripple)?
That is why we need to develop 4-5 months early before launch to make product stable and solid. Different types of caps ,power trace layout and firmware of controller will determine result we have. Seems so far so good.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Quote:

Z97 oc formula vrm is actually stronger. That is dual stack mosfet. Like 2 pcs Ti dualN per phase
I figured they weren't the same but similar. More than enough for Ryzen.

·
⤷ αC
11,278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WallySimmonds View Post

I'm thinking about getting the Taichi, but I'm just wondering what CPU to pair with it. Have ordered the 1700x but is there much point - should i just go with the 1700?
Ryzen 7 1700 is a good bet since they all seem to have the same clockspeed wall under water & air
Quote:

X370 Taichi 12+4 phases

Exactly what I needed. Thanks Nick
smile.gif

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undervolter View Post

The Gigabyte 970 UD3P, can be found at 75 EUR and it goes all they way to 4.5Ghz
4.4 GHz without resorting to BCLK. Anything higher and the board doesn't post. Plus, the VRMs get super hot. I can run benchmarks at 4.8, even 5 GHz for some, but even at 4.5 on air the VRM temps get too high with Prime unless you use a very high level of airflow through/onto them. I replaced the thermal pad and it didn't help.

The highest clock I can say was 1 hour large FFT in-place Prime stable was 4.7 but the VRM temp was out of spec.

Despite the flaws the 2.0 version of the UD3P (the one I have) was a great value (at Micro Center) until ASUS started selling Aura boards at Micro Center with rebates. But for those without a Micro Center pricing is very different.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Quote:

I would definitely say that Asrock X370 Taichi , Asrock X370 Fatal1ty Professional (same as Taichi with different coloring and NIC) or ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero are the ones to get based on preliminary specifications review.
Then I looked at the data you provided:
Quote:

Asrock X370 Taichi / Fatal1ty Pro: worst case would be 240A due to doubler

ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero : since it's using a doubler worst case would be 240A , it may very well be a 4+2 PWM controller though

Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming K7 : 240A

Gigabyte GA-AX370-GAMING 5 : 240A
The same 240A is what you gave as your worst-case scenario number for every board you put amperage numbers with. However, the Hero board is even more of a question, according to your data.

·
Registered
238 Posts
So im guessing after the X370 Taichi the next best vrms go in this order? Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 then ASRock X370 Killer SLI/ac and X370 Killer SLI?

·
⤷ αC
11,278 Posts
Newegg has ETA March 7,2017

Microcenter has the Fatal1ty Professional at certain locations but not the Taichi http://www.microcenter.com/product/476355/Fatal1ty_X370_Professional_Gaming_AM4_ATX_AMD_Motherboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstition222 View Post

Then I looked at the data you provided:
The same 240A is what you gave as your worst-case scenario number for every board you put amperage numbers with. However, the Hero board is even more of a question, according to your data.
The preliminary CH VI Hero number was based on before I found out about the doubling scheme used (i.e. if not done properly with phase interleaving it would be half what is possible)

It's actually 4+2 doubled on the CH VI Hero

Gigabyte X370 Gaming 5 / K7 is 6+2 with the 2 phases for SOC doubled to 6+4 as far as I can tell , but only K7 has the base clock gen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karagra View Post

So im guessing after the X370 Taichi the next best vrms go in this order? Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 then ASRock X370 Killer SLI/ac and X370 Killer SLI?
Fatality Professional = Taichi > Asrock X370 Gaming K4 >= Killer SLI

Killer SLI is not worth it IMO since it lacks USB 3.1 (USB 3.1 is supposed to be part of the B350 and X370 chipset)

From the motherboard thread it seems the ASUS X370 Prime Pro may be be better than X370 Gaming K4 based on parts used ,even though the X370 Gaming K4 has a Post Code LED for troubleshooting.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Quote:

The preliminary CH VI Hero number was based on before I found out about the doubling scheme used (i.e. if not done properly with phase interleaving it would be half what is possible)

It's actually 4+2 doubled on the CH VI Hero

Gigabyte X370 Gaming 5 / K7 is 6+2 with the 2 phases for SOC doubled to 6+4 as far as I can tell , but only K7 has the base clock gen
That's fine but it makes no sense to state that certain boards are the best choice for purchase when all of the ones you provided numbers for had the same worst-case scenario of 240 amps.

Preliminary or not that recommendation is illogical. It's based on faith rather than fact:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaC
I would definitely say that Asrock X370 Taichi , Asrock X370 Fatal1ty Professional (same as Taichi with different coloring and NIC) or ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero are the ones to get based on preliminary specifications review.
Definitely is even worse.

·
⤷ αC
11,278 Posts
What you're quoting is over a week old.

They both listed NexFETs on their specs so the switching frequencies were going to be better than that of ones that did not have said mosfets. Ryzen is heavily reliant on quick thermal and power response so that is one of the major factors.

The only differentiation a week ago without any uncovering the heatsinks was purely phase count.

CH VI Hero does double the proper way anyway.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Quote:

What you're quoting is over a week old.
That's not relevant to my point.
Quote:

They both listed NexFETs on their specs so the switching frequencies were going to be better than that of ones that did not have said mosfets. Ryzen is heavily reliant on quick thermal and power response so that is one of the major factors.
Then why post all that stuff about amperage, implying it is important data to be used to support your "definite" recommendation?

Even if we ignore all the stuff in that post about amperage comparisons we're still left with a "definite" recommendation based on not having enough data.

·
Premium Member
15,004 Posts
I've ordered an AX370-Gaming 5 that should be here by the end of the week. I'll see if I can get some basic information on how capable the power delivery on it is.

Seems like they're using PowIRstage driver+FET packages, though they don't say which ones. I'm ready to see 45A parts, but since it's shared with the AX370-Gaming K7 I might be pleasantly surprised.

Either way, even the small 45A parts are plenty capable in a 6+4 arrangement for even a highly strung Ryzen under water.

·
Registered
238 Posts
In the next few months can any of you see a board coming out that might surpass the X370 Taichi enough to wait before buying?

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karagra View Post

In the next few months can any of you see a board coming out that might surpass the X370 Taichi enough to wait before buying?
I'm hoping that someone will step up and offer a hybrid water-air VRM sink like what has been available on Intel since 2013. In fact, ASUS offered two versions of that sink within a matter of months. The first one stupidly had proprietary fittings and the revision (roughly September 2013) didn't.

Having to put up with additional noise and clunky DIY fan mounts to cool the VRMs with air is something I'm not willing to do anymore considering the money I've put into making a custom loop.

·
Premium Member
15,004 Posts
To be honest unless it's for LN2/Dice/LHe use any current mid-high end board (basically anything with a X370) has an already capable enough regulation to keep up with the majority of overclocks we'll see on Ryzen.

Or at least the initial batches, knowing how they clock and the power figures we see.

I'm not seeing any particularly atrocious choices FET-wise so far.

41 - 60 of 3725 Posts