Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, as stated on the title. Should i wait for Cascade Lake or buy 7900x, 7940x or 7960x for video editing?? Thanks in advance for the response!

Btw, let me know if am posting in the wrong area.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
At this point I would just wait and depending on the program your using you may not see that much benefit past 12.

·
Turtle Rig Fan
2,474 Posts
Those will edit video just fine IMO

If you already have a decent PC I could see holding out but isn't cascade lake now coffee lake x? If so there won't be much difference. Probably won't be much difference anyway.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Turtle Rig Fan
2,474 Posts
What program do you use to edit videos? Sony vegas doesn't even fully use my cpu so you may be fine with what you have. While cores are important to a certain point editing programs really like clockspeed as well I believe.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What program do you use to edit videos? Sony vegas doesn't even fully use my cpu so you may be fine with what you have. While cores are important to a certain point editing programs really like clockspeed as well I believe.
Currently am using imovie. But, i try adobe few weeks ago using my x99 5930k before getting ridoff the board and didnt like how it was lagging. Looking forward to learn premiere, but i need a system that can handle it.

·
Overclocker in training
14,078 Posts
Hi,
There will be a skylake-x refresh and Intel will solder those chips
Otherwise you'll be visiting silicon lottery or delidding yourself :)
But is it worth it absolutely skylake-x will be relevant for some time
Budget is the only real question :thumb:

Quad channel yes even in dual channel is being done on kabylake :rolleyess

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi,
There will be a skylake-x refresh and Intel will solder those chips
Otherwise you'll be visiting silicon lottery or delidding yourself :)
But is it worth it absolutely skylake-x will be relevant for some time
Budget is the only real question :thumb:

Quad channel yes even in dual channel is being done on kabylake :rolleyess
Any release date yet??

·
Overclocker in training
14,078 Posts
Hi,
Nope all I know is Intel was pretty disappointed with skylake-x sells so it shouldn't be all that long of a wait :)
Kabylake-x suffers the same thermal issues as skylake-x does but there is no refresh for for kabylake-x sells were better so go figure :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was ready to pull the trigger. But, now idk. I really don't want to make the investment and 2 or 3 months from now, intel release new processors.

·
Overclocker in training
14,078 Posts
Hi,
Pull trigger on which ?
Sending a skylake-x chip to silicon lottery is easy and pretty cheap +100.us to the retail sells price of the chip you want and may be better than a soldered refresh chip :)
Or buy a binned chip from silicon lottery instead of retail outlet already delidded.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After seeing pudgetsystem results, 7900x or 7940x..

Not many applications make use of 16 or 18 cores. I see u have a 7900x, how it perform compare to the 5930k on your 1 build??

·
Overclocker in training
14,078 Posts
Hi,
Works just fine
New bios is crap with melt down rubbish included but still renders anything better than kabylake-x ever would.

I got it mostly because it was win-7's last supported platform and of course cores/ cores/ cores :)
Sent a retail bought from MicroCenter to silicon lottery for delid works great.
Silicon lottery wants a lot for binned chips.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Is good to know that i have that option. Whats your stable OC after delid??

If you render any videos, which one do you use and how it perform?

Also, thinking if i get either CPU from microcenter and i can add replacement plan and exchange it later on as long as intel doesn't require a new board for the refresh.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Is good to know that i have that option. Whats your stable OC after delid??

If you render any videos, which one do you use and how it perform?

Also, thinking if i get either CPU from microcenter and i can add replacement plan and exchange it later on as long as intel doesn't require a new board for the refresh.
You might want to look at open box or second hand 14 cores on cl or ebay tbh. They are like 1000-1100 around or get a new one from micro center for 1200. Intel RMA is based off serial number so as long as u didnt buy a delided one it's fine. To do anything actual overclocking a delid will be needed for the i9s, to which it's an easy process, however chips can die without you ever having done anything to it. I know someone whos 7980xe died randomly after a week running stock. A delided chip in that instance you would just be screwed. Better to wait for the refresh with the return to solder. OR if you can go the AMD route hell a 16 core 1950x is like 700 at microcenter if you have one near. I think amazon had it the other day for 719 as well. Also, I don't believe Microcenter still does the replacement plans for byo items higher than 500 ? I might be wrong lol.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You might want to look at open box or second hand 14 cores on cl or ebay tbh. They are like 1000-1100 around or get a new one from micro center for 1200. Intel RMA is based off serial number so as long as u didnt buy a delided one it's fine. To do anything actual overclocking a delid will be needed for the i9s, to which it's an easy process, however chips can die without you ever having done anything to it. I know someone whos 7980xe died randomly after a week running stock. A delided chip in that instance you would just be screwed. Better to wait for the refresh with the return to solder. OR if you can go the AMD route hell a 16 core 1950x is like 700 at microcenter if you have one near. I think amazon had it the other day for 719 as well. Also, I don't believe Microcenter still does the replacement plans for byo items higher than 500 ? I might be wrong lol.
Thought about 1950x as well as an option, but never use AMD before. How they overclock?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts