Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm building my first rig and I'm waiting for a good deal to buy the SSD. So I looked at what was happening at ces and I saw those m.2 SSD. They look pretty fast and my mobo supports them. Should I wait for them to be out and an HDD while waiting?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam60I View Post

Hi,

I'm building my first rig and I'm waiting for a good deal to buy the SSD. So I looked at what was happening at ces and I saw those m.2 SSD. They look pretty fast and my mobo supports them. Should I wait for them to be out and an HDD while waiting?
No you should not wait and get an HDD.

SSD are mature, cheap, and fast.

You WILL not be able to tell the difference in performance from an SSD to M.2, we are talking about miliseconds here.
Want to see your computer boot 2 blinks faster get an M.2 and pay 100% more and 50% less capacity.

Also with technology you should NEVER wait for the next big thing or you will always be waiting.

Buy yourself a 240 gb SSD (Minimum) no smaller, and or perferably a 500gb one and your set to go to do what ever you would like. Pair it up with an HHD 1tb-3tb in order to store your pictures, music, movies. And all your applications on the SSD.

Ps. I own hero vii, I do not use m.2 and only SSD because the cost does not justify the performance increase from 6gb/s-->10gbs as my internet doesn't even download fast enough (100mb/s) to overload the ssd, and my HHD doesn't overload transfering to SSD ether) Nothing is bottlenecking an SSD for the next 2 years. Even google fiber 1gb/s won't be able to bottleneck an SSD)

Hope this helps!!
thumb.gif

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by istudy92 View Post

No you should not wait and get an HDD.

SSD are mature, cheap, and fast.

You WILL not be able to tell the difference in performance from an SSD to M.2, we are talking about miliseconds here.
Want to see your computer boot 2 blinks faster get an M.2 and pay 100% more and 50% less capacity.

Also with technology you should NEVER wait for the next big thing or you will always be waiting.

Buy yourself a 240 gb SSD (Minimum) no smaller, and or perferably a 500gb one and your set to go to do what ever you would like. Pair it up with an HHD 1tb-3tb in order to store your pictures, music, movies. And all your applications on the SSD.

Ps. I own hero vii, I do not use m.2 and only SSD because the cost does not justify the performance increase from 6gb/s-->10gbs as my internet doesn't even download fast enough (100mb/s) to overload the ssd, and my HHD doesn't overload transfering to SSD ether) Nothing is bottlenecking an SSD for the next 2 years. Even google fiber 1gb/s won't be able to bottleneck an SSD)

Hope this helps!!
thumb.gif
Yeah it does help thanks. I'm considering getting the 850 evo. Do you think it is worth to pay the little premium over an mx100 for example?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam60I View Post

Yeah it does help thanks. I'm considering getting the 850 evo. Do you think it is worth to pay the little premium over an mx100 for example?
Hey your welcome.

It is not worth paying the premium. The EVO 840pro is good and evo as well.

However do not get something like sandisk (regular) you can tell a minor diffrience with REALLY low end SSD to regular SSD.

However Regular SSD--> High end SSD you will not be able to notice the difference in speed. It is just too fast at this point.

So in general you are better off getting a Mid end performance SSD (Which is saying its 10nano seconds slower than high end lol)

Make sure the SSD has good reliability reviews, after that you should be good with anything. I personally have intel SSD it is a mid end one but wayy faster than my previous Sandisk.

I hope this helps settle your heart!
biggrin.gif

• Rep+
Reactions: Sam60I

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by istudy92 View Post

Hey your welcome.

It is not worth paying the premium. The EVO 840pro is good and evo as well.

However do not get something like sandisk (regular) you can tell a minor diffrience with REALLY low end SSD to regular SSD.

However Regular SSD--> High end SSD you will not be able to notice the difference in speed. It is just too fast at this point.

So in general you are better off getting a Mid end performance SSD (Which is saying its 10nano seconds slower than high end lol)

Make sure the SSD has good reliability reviews, after that you should be good with anything. I personally have intel SSD it is a mid end one but wayy faster than my previous Sandisk.

I hope this helps settle your heart!
biggrin.gif
Ok thanks!
biggrin.gif
red added. I'll try to find the best perf for price SSD with the help of some reviews.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts