Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Source

Lucid secures another $18 Million dollars of venture capital for "Third Stage Capital" (aka series C funding). Third stage capital is money for a company that has production in place and is now ready to move to the marketing, distribution, expansion phase. This is a very good sign that investors are climbing aboard even in the face of worldwide economic downturn.

In other words - Hydra is happening and investors have seen sufficient proof-of-product to put their money on the chopping block.

I hope the primo board makers are digging the engineering samples and getting ready to start cranking out Hydra 100-equipped Mobo for our perusal. Seems like everything is on track for an early 09 roll-out.

Will keep you guys posted.

Please search "Hydra and GPU" if you have no idea what I am yammering on about.

Or click here, your call.

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
This is good to hear.

I would love to see what true Dual GPU could do, I mean, I have plenty of old HD 2600 cards, so if I doubled there output. I mean truly doubled in Xfire then it would be pretty sick. I would be able to play most games on high with no AA or AF. Cept Crysis and a few. But for such old cards that would really breath life into them.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Source link is bad due to filtering:

Code:

Code:
http://www.market watch.com/news/story/Lucid-Secures-18-Million-Series/story.aspx?guid=%7B8DC05F8F-5009-4166-A038-029E3D5DA809%7D
Remove the space in market watch

I would have to say early 09 is pushing it. They haven't manufactured the chips and they haven't been validated. Then it takes a month for mobo PCB layout and integration. Then there's the time to manufacture the new mobos and ship to US by sea.

·
Old Timers Unite
1,239 Posts
still even if it is mid or even late 09' before this hits the market, and it works like it should, it will probably be one of the sweetest things to happen for computers since SLI or Crossfire. Lets just hope its not like $400 for the bridge alone.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I doubt they'll go that expensive. From even the team's comments, it's a fairly simple RISC chip; it's not the complexity or power of the chip that is going to make a difference it the intelligent management of data. Should be fairly inexpensive to crank out.

The company IS fabless, but they got samples out to vendors a couple of months ago. We're probaly heavy into product design by now with fabrication in the next couple of months. So far, this has been progressing quickly. I think it'll be well before May that we see this hit shelves.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mjolnir
View Post

I doubt they'll go that expensive. From even the team's comments, it's a fairly simple RISC chip; it's not the complexity or power of the chip that is going to make a difference it the intelligent management of data. Should be fairly inexpensive to crank out.

The company IS fabless, but they got samples out to vendors a couple of months ago. We're probaly heavy into product design by now with fabrication in the next couple of months. So far, this has been progressing quickly. I think it'll be well before May that we see this hit shelves.

Hmmm... did they announce which vendors got samples?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts