Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
⤷ αC
11,240 Posts
At this point there's maybe 40 days or so til Ryzen+... anyone not planning on delidding this and using a half decent board to push it over 4.7GHz all core should just wait.

edit: why 4.7GHz? Because if you buy a i7-8700 and use BCLK at 102 it is 4.3GHz x 1.02 = 4.386 , with 4.6GHz turbo

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would like to point something out. Places like newegg and amazon should price match this. Which could avoid the tax. Plus if you got this at places like newegg in the last 14 days you could get a price adjustment!

source: https://kb.newegg.com/Article/Index/12/3?id=1361

Items with the Price Match Guarantee come with a one-time price match guarantee. If you purchase an item from Newegg.com which is carrying the Price Match Guarantee badge at the time of purchase, then find the exact same item at a lower price on a competitor's website within 14 days, just let us know, and we'll send you a Newegg Customer Care Card to cover the difference.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
IDK as this deal if really good atm . . . esp if you go Intel/Nvidia like I do. Problem for me is Intel hasn't done much in leaps n bounds, thus I don't care atm

·
Avid Memer
5,953 Posts
IDK as this deal if really good atm . . . esp if you go Intel/Nvidia like I do. Problem for me is Intel hasn't done much in leaps n bounds, thus I don't care atm
The best mainstream gaming CPU on the market for under $315? Sounds like a hell of a deal to me. Looks like the sale is over though. Every price under MSRP ($359) is a good price.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
The best mainstream gaming CPU on the market for under $315? Sounds like a hell of a deal to me. Looks like the sale is over though. Every price under MSRP ($359) is a good price.
Yeah no that's not really how it works. If they set the price at $2k on release and were selling the same thing for $700 on sale now, would you say "wow that's a good deal just because they lowered the price and it performs well!"? Doubt it.

·
Avid Memer
5,953 Posts
Price is relative. In your hypothetical, if "budget" CPUs were around $250 to $350, then $700 is probably reasonable. Several other factors come into play as well, but what I described actually is really how it works. The i7-8700K is essentially a 6-core i7-7700K for roughly the same price it was a year ago. If you're trying to tell me the i7-7700K had a good price and the i7-8700K does not, I can't take anything you say seriously.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Price is relative. In your hypothetical, if "budget" CPUs were around $250 to $350, then $700 is probably reasonable. Several other factors come into play as well, but what I described actually is really how it works. The i7-8700K is essentially a 6-core i7-7700K for roughly the same price it was a year ago. If you're trying to tell me the i7-7700K had a good price and the i7-8700K does not, I can't take anything you say seriously.
Except the part where it's not. If mommy and daddy and their connections don't bring you through life on a golden cloud, and you work for your money, generally you want the best performance per dollar.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Would like to point something out. Places like newegg and amazon should price match this. Which could avoid the tax. Plus if you got this at places like newegg in the last 14 days you could get a price adjustment!

source: https://kb.newegg.com/Article/Index/12/3?id=1361

Items with the Price Match Guarantee come with a one-time price match guarantee. If you purchase an item from Newegg.com which is carrying the Price Match Guarantee badge at the time of purchase, then find the exact same item at a lower price on a competitor's website within 14 days, just let us know, and we'll send you a Newegg Customer Care Card to cover the difference.

Since I literally just dealt with this on my motherboard at Newegg. First you have to buy it at full price, then you fill out a form for the price match, which you may or may not get approved. At which point you can chat them and they will offer $5 of the $25 difference, and its only in gift-card form so your stuck using it at Newegg.

I have learned that Newegg's customer service has gone down hill severely from what it used to be when building my Ryzen system.

I would go with Amazon, they have been great from customer service standpoint, but when it comes to purchasing a CPU Staples is where its at! They price match everyone without any haggling!

·
Avid Memer
5,953 Posts
Except the part where it's not. If mommy and daddy and their connections don't bring you through life on a golden cloud, and you work for your money, generally you want the best performance per dollar.
I don't know what you're arguing at this point. Like I already pointed out: price is all relative. You're looking at prices in a vacuum and that's ruining your entire argument. Getting 6 cores and 12 threads for what used to be the price of 4 and 8 respectively with similar IPC is a good deal. Whether or not you can afford a product does not determine whether or not it's a good deal

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Like I already pointed out: price is all relative. You're looking at prices in a vacuum and that's ruining your entire argument.
Nuf Said and concur, thx

1 - 14 of 14 Posts