Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I remember some laptops had the option of having Ubuntu instead of Windows, I think it was HP a while back. I don't think the price was different. If that's still the case, I'll just get Windows and install Ubuntu over it.

In any case, you will probably have a hard time finding one without Windows, so even if you do find one, it will probably end up not being cheaper than other Windows laptops. (If that makes sense)

·
Registered
449 Posts
Dell used to do some laptops that came with Ubuntu preinstalled.
Alternatively there are Ubuntu specific suppliers such as System 76. But I can't say I've seen a manufacturer supplying laptops without an OS.

Another option may be to look at preconfiguring your own laptop via a website? Though I don't think this will be cheaper...

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
most of the PCs on www.Xoticpc.com or malibal.com, both sell Clevo notebooks rebranded which have an option for no operating system installed.

Malibal sells only clevo.

xotic.pc sells sager (clevo), msi, asus, and xotic (compal) brand notebooks.

but i believe the majority of the notebooks can come custom configured with no OS.

My only issue would be that I have zero clue compatibility. I'm sure if you're a regular user of Ubuntu you can make it fly.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hrmmm..

Any custom build vendor besides Dellienware that I know of can do it with no OS. I have a Sager NP8150 that I specifically ordered with no OS because I already owned a copy of Win 7 that wasn't being used.

XoticPC
Malibal
others like those two

6,097 Posts
if i recall you can uninstall windows from a brand new laptop and then get a rebate cheque from them if you dont want it, they will take the cd key and unregister it in thier database to make it invalid.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I think dell is offering this sort of bundle from there manifacturing website directly I do not think you can go to the store and buy it

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

·
Banned
3,639 Posts
I had a friend who bought a acer laptop for like 20$ used from someone (that may or may not have been stolen). Anyways he installed ubuntu on it and it worked wonderfully.

·
Premium Member
6,636 Posts
Maybe more laptop than you want, but alot of the custom pc sites like:

buyxg.com
avadirect.com
pugetsystems.com

allow you to configure a laptop without OS. But honestly given the limited number of suppliers that will ship without OS, I'm sure it still makes more sense financially to simply remove Windows yourself.

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts
As said, even the companies that give you the option for Ubuntu like HP/Dell still make you pay the same amount, so not much of a choice. If I were you'd I'd find one on craigslist/ebay/ocn in good condition for cheap and just install w.e you want on it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts