Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have dabbled around in overclocking a bit but i have never done any in depth oc'ing. i would like to try to get my E5200 in my sig rig, with the UD3R, to atleast 4.0ghz, stable, for daily use. ive seen people do this pretty easily. i have a good cooler and i bought this motherboard and good quality RAM so i could do some heavy OCing. i plan on upgrading to 4gb of RAM soon, so i will have 4x1gb of Gskill DDR2 1066, i hope having all my RAM slots filled wont effect my NB's stability. i have heard the newer p45 chipset doesnt have as many of these problems.

ive looked through my BIOS settings a bit, but im fuzzy on a lot of the details in there... i OCed my CPU to 3.33ghz just by changing the FSB. i left all the settings on the optimized defaults. i would really like some help from someone with experience with the BIOS on my motherboard so that i can get some advice on the settings i need to change. im not sure on how to go about getting the best stable OC... i dont really want to toy around with upping the FSB 10 mhz at a time or 5 mhz.. but i also dont want to load up 1.4v and just push the FSB as far as possible cause i dont want to hurt my chip. im not sure how good of an OCer it is. i had it running fairly stable at 3.33ghz at 1.280v (in CPUz) and i didnt tamper with any of the advanced settings that could help my stability. i just upped the FSB and bumped the Vcore a bit. this time i want a cleaner, more stable OC at 4.0ghz.

thanks a lot

·
Banned
11,112 Posts
you're going to need to have a lucky chip then. Set the FSB to 333 and up the multi in .5 increments, increasing vcore as necessary. I couldn't get my e5200 or e5300 to 4GHz.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
why 333? 333x12.5 (stock multi) = 4.1625ghz, thats higher than i needed. and i wasnt sure if i should change the multiplier since its not an 'extreme' edition. i thought only those had unlocked multipliers.

like i said, i havent looked into heavy OCing much.

and i saw many people with e5200s near or at 4.0ghz, cross my fingers i guess..

more advice is always appreciated

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
So I am assuming u want something like this.

My motherboard is slight different than yours since I have UD3P, but DDR3 version.

All I had to do is:
Put vcore to 1.45 in bios, since in windows in would be lower around 1.408 or 1.416.

Bump NB to 1.3 and if later when its gets stable try to lower until it crashes.

Make sure u dont overclock ur ram to much as I would start with lower divider and later u can tweaj your ram. Also make sure to put proper voltage for ram too.

Everything else is on auto for me.

I could post BIOS pics later tomorrow if u want.

·
Banned
11,112 Posts
Because a higher FSB will give you faster RAM and a faster QDR FSB, leading to a slightly fast system. Most e5200's can't get much past 333, however. Nothing is making you use the maximum multi; 333x12 is pretty much 4GHz, while still giving you a bit of extra legroom if you happen to have a lucky chip.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so, i can go below 12.5x, but not above it cause its not an 'extreme' edition?

and yes.. i would like to no longer have my 1066 ram running at 800mhz.... grr.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DraganUS
View Post

So I am assuming u want something like this.

My motherboard is slight different than yours since I have UD3P, but DDR3 version.

All I had to do is:
Put vcore to 1.45 in bios, since in windows in would be lower around 1.408 or 1.416.

Bump NB to 1.3 and if later when its gets stable try to lower until it crashes.

Make sure u dont overclock ur ram to much as I would start with lower divider and later u can tweaj your ram. Also make sure to put proper voltage for ram too.

Everything else is on auto for me.

I could post BIOS pics later tomorrow if u want.

bios pics would help, thats what i want

thanks for the info. i just got to see what gigabyte calls what in the BIOS so i can change settings and know what im doing! i know the basics of OCing..

plus, what should i use to test stability? im not looking to run my computer for 8-12 hrs to say its stable... IBT 100 runs? linpack?

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
Yea, LinX for 50 - 100 passes and u can call it stable.

I will send u pics tomorrow as I am tired and need to go catch some sleep.

·
Just Lift Bro
3,234 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DraganUS
View Post

Yea, LinX for 50 - 100 passes and u can call it stable.

I will send u pics tomorrow as I am tired and need to go catch some sleep.

wat?

100 i dunno sounds a bit OTT

10-20 passes is fine.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok.. i disabled all the automatic performance boosting things in bios to make it as stable as possible to start with. then i set 333x12 =4.00ghz. set Vcore to 1.45v and enabled LLC to help with Vdroop. set my Ram timing and such and set the MCH (NB) to 1.3v but it wouldnt load windows. it started up and did the POST beep, but as soon as the XP screen came up it BSODed..

i dropped the FSB to 300x12.5 = 3.75ghz and left the voltages the same and it booted! im pretty happy with this first attempt!

any ideas on something to make it more stable? i know above 1.45v is deadly for 45nm... would the NB voltage at 1.4 or so help at all? or am i just stuck at ~3.75?

im showing 1.424v in CPUz from the 1.45 in BIOS... not too bad Vdroop

·
Banned
11,112 Posts
our board doesn't need an NB adjustment for 333, especially when it's rated from the factory to 400, and holds the world record at 740..lol my advice is to simply leave it at 333, and start at 11x, 1.3625v or so. Then, simply increase the multi .5 each time, and increase the vcore as necessary. I doubt you'll get 4GHz, but the difference between 3.8 and 4GHz is very minimal. I haven't noticed any difference going from 3.66 on my e5300 to 3.33 on my e5200.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
just played crysis at high settings and its a HUGE difference from my old 3.0 OC! smooth on high settings. 15 mins, no crashes, BSOD, or an glitches or snags. i know u i cant call that stable by anyone's standards, but its a good preliminary result.

·
Registered
699 Posts
dont worry about getting 4ghz
, try to stabilize at 3.8ghz so you can measure how much vcore needed for 4,... say if you need around 1.42 - 1.47v to get to 3.8ghz then just forget about 4Ghz.. this little cheap cpu runs great at 3.6Ghz

i left my VTT at 1.1v and NB at 1.16 tu run 3.8Ghz with 331FSB, ....my UD3R doesnt need more than 1.2v VTT and NB to run 500FSB

flo

·
Banned
11,112 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by IntelConvert View Post
just played crysis at high settings and its a HUGE difference from my old 3.0 OC! smooth on high settings. 15 mins, no crashes, BSOD, or an glitches or snags. i know u i cant call that stable by anyone's standards, but its a good preliminary result.
i suggest installing the triple C config for crysis
looks far better and can double or triple your FPS depending on the setup...

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Have you tried leaving everything on auto except setting your ram to a d strap and changing vcore? Then open up easytune and see what refs and pll's they are being set at. That should give you a good base line. and then keep the values the same as long as it boots into windows with the vore then change the multi's around but keep the settings in easytune the same in the bios but adjust your multi to see which multi works out best for you.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by flowtek View Post
dont worry about getting 4ghz
, try to stabilize at 3.8ghz so you can measure how much vcore needed for 4,... say if you need around 1.42 - 1.47v to get to 3.8ghz then just forget about 4Ghz.. this little cheap cpu runs great at 3.6Ghz

i left my VTT at 1.1v and NB at 1.16 tu run 3.8Ghz with 331FSB, ....my UD3R doesnt need more than 1.2v VTT and NB to run 500FSB

flo
upp your vtt to 1.22 and nb to 1.24 to get 333 stable and start your vcore around 1.45 in bios thats wat i had to do for 4ghz and your talking about a different proc to get 500 fsb noway a e5200 would do 500 on 1.2 it wont do 500fsb at all

·
Registered
699 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sean11978 View Post
upp your vtt to 1.22 and nb to 1.24 to get 333 stable and start your vcore around 1.45 in bios thats wat i had to do for 4ghz and your talking about a different proc to get 500 fsb noway a e5200 would do 500 on 1.2 it wont do 500fsb at all

sorry mate, definately typo
,.. i was just comparing NB/VTT volt with my UD3R+E7300

using this P5Q+E5300 only need 1.1vTT and 1.16vNB for 333..

my mistake

flo

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
all the abbreviations and such are confusing..

it boots and runs well at 3.75ghz for the most part.. i will do real stress tests later, but i need to get some sleep before work.

ive tried several things to hit 4.0ghz and it doesnt seem that i can do it with this cpu. maybe there are things i could enable or disable to increase stability? i saw a list of bios features i could disable to increase stability...

but i guess if i could get 3.8 stable, i would be happy... acutally, if this 3.75 was stable, i would be ok with that.

thanks for your input everyone

-played crysis again.. Vcore fluctuates from 1.39 to 1.42 during loading and gameplay... it encountered an error.... i had LLC on last time and it didnt have that problem. maybe its a fluke.. its also getting hot in my room so my temps are higher than normal, but not dangerous... cpu core hit 59*C while in crysis for a few mins...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts