Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm giving some thought to a 120Hz/144Hz display. I've got the GPU horsepower for it, so I'd like to take advantage of the high frame rates I can get.

Currently, I'm stuck between the following (in no particular order):

- Asus VG248QE
- BenQ XL2420T
- Samsung S23A700D

These are within my budget, but I don't have much more room to go. I've given some thought to a 1440p 60Hz display, but I just can't afford it.

I'm not really interested in 3D that much...I might give it a go if the glasses came with the display or something like that, but I don't see my self spending the extra cash on the 3D Vision kit. However, the Light Boost hack does look interesting and I'd likely take advantage of it. My typical usage is mostly gaming (60%), web browsing/general use (30%), and Blu-Ray/DVD/Netflix (10%).

The Asus is the fastest on paper (144Hz), but the Samsung sounds like it has the best looking panel of the 3 (for a TN display). The built-in USB hub and matte housing on the BenQ appeal to me also. I can't decide, so I'm hoping I can get some feedback. Any advise and personal experiences shared is much appreciated!
smile.gif

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I've been reading up on the Catleap monitors earlier. That might be an interesting way to go too.

Either way, thanks for the reply.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Only 2B Catleaps overclock to 120hz afaik....getting them from eBay will not work. You can find 1440p 120hz capable displays at 120hz.net or Overlordcomputer.com - i own the latter and its pretty awesome.

I gotta sell my other CrossOver LED-P actually - i dont have the deskspace to have 2x27" panels

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by moshah View Post

I'm in a similar situation - I decided to get the BenQ purely based on cost. If i could afford it i'd get the sammy hands down.
Yeah the Samsung is the most expensive of the three where I'm buying as well. I could be out the door with the Asus for $300, but I'm having a hard time finding it in stock.

How do you like the BenQ? Good build quality? The biggest complaint I've heard is the out of the box colours could be better; granted IIRC it's normally set to "FPS1" which intentionally skews the colours for most FPS games.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrolds View Post

Only 2B Catleaps overclock to 120hz afaik....getting them from eBay will not work. You can find 1440p 120hz capable displays at 120hz.net or Overlordcomputer.com - i own the latter and its pretty awesome.

I gotta sell my other CrossOver LED-P actually - i dont have the deskspace to have 2x27" panels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accuracy158 View Post

Get a "Korean" monitor. 120hz is very nice but 1440p IPS is better
biggrin.gif
Thanks guys! As much as I'd like to take a run at one of the Catleaps, it feels a bit high risk/high reward type of thing. If I get one with no dead pixels and it works great for several years, it's a really good deal. But I'm not much of a risk-taker at the best of times. I'm not trying to dump on the Catleap or anything, I just don't think it's for me. I do appreciate the suggestion, though - food for thought never hurts.
smile.gif

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by shedokan View Post

Get the Asus QE, specially with NVIDIA GPU so you can enable LightBoost
Thanks! The I'm liking the Asus and plus it's the cheapest of the three. Although, I thought the BenQ also supports LightBoost?

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
it does but why not get the newer model which is better? BenQ XL2411T same panel as the Asus QE, best gaming monitors on the market

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can't find the XL2411T anywhere. AFAIK, it's not available in Canada.

---

Edit: OK at NCIX.com I can get the Asus VG248QE for $290 (which includes taxes, shipping, and a zero dead pixel guarantee).

Unless there are any glaring issues with the Asus, this is a very good deal.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by francisw19 View Post

I can't find the XL2411T anywhere. AFAIK, it's not available in Canada.

---

Edit: OK at NCIX.com I can get the Asus VG248QE for $290 (which includes taxes, shipping, and a zero dead pixel guarantee).

Unless there are any glaring issues with the Asus, this is a very good deal.
thumb.gif
I'm picking up the ASUS 248QE myself!
biggrin.gif
I went back and forth with going for IPS or LCD. In the end, I wanted to eventually go Nvidia Surround. So, 3 IPS monitors would've ended up being very expensive. Also, performance wise, the better option for me was to go 1080 so I could still run it pretty high without the performance hit of IPS. I only have 2 580LE's in SLI. Check out the price here!!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=ASUS+VG248QE&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

They are on back order right now, but the price is worth the wait.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
2,613 Posts

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by philharmonik View Post

I'm picking up the ASUS 248QE myself!
biggrin.gif
I went back and forth with going for IPS or LCD. In the end, I wanted to eventually go Nvidia Surround. So, 3 IPS monitors would've ended up being very expensive. Also, performance wise, the better option for me was to go 1080 so I could still run it pretty high without the performance hit of IPS. I only have 2 580LE's in SLI. Check out the price here!!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=ASUS+VG248QE&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

They are on back order right now, but the price is worth the wait.
thumb.gif
Thanks for the link!
thumb.gif

·
Registered
872 Posts
I have the same dilemma.

After reading about Lightboos enabled monitors and the Catleap 2B - My aim was to get the best (almost) from 3 worlds.
1. Is the fact that I want IPS and not TN due to colour gamut and overall display quality.
2. Major real estate jump from 1920x1200 to 2560x1440.
3. It can be overclocked to 120Hz.

The conclusion is the Overlord Tempest 27 inch 2560x1440 that can be OC'ed to 120Hz and it's an IPS panel grade A.

They are out of stock at the moment but soon they will have a new batch.

The only downside of this is 16:9 ratio which I dislike.

My wishlist is IPS panel, 2560x1600 and 120Hz..

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Is it worth upgrading from an XL2410T to this VG248QE? The only thing i hate about the benQ is the pixel response which causes overdrive trailing. Basically when something moves across the screen really fast you get a dark halo behind it which sucks. If this monitor does not have that issue than i would gladly sell my BenQ off for it.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil80 View Post

I have the same dilemma.

After reading about Lightboos enabled monitors and the Catleap 2B - My aim was to get the best (almost) from 3 worlds.
1. Is the fact that I want IPS and not TN due to colour gamut and overall display quality.
2. Major real estate jump from 1920x1200 to 2560x1440.
3. It can be overclocked to 120Hz.

The conclusion is the Overlord Tempest 27 inch 2560x1440 that can be OC'ed to 120Hz and it's an IPS panel grade A.

They are out of stock at the moment but soon they will have a new batch.

The only downside of this is 16:9 ratio which I dislike.

My wishlist is IPS panel, 2560x1600 and 120Hz..
Good luck getting 120Fps at 1600p
thumb.gif

1 - 20 of 43 Posts