Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so my dad is giving me his old rig (acer aspire desktop), and I really would like to try some case modding on it. This would be the very first thing I do that even looks like case modding/painting.

So, my question: What kind of paint do you guys/girls use?

I know you can powdercoat it, but I will not be able to do that.Can I use the sort of paint made for cars, and what diffrence will there be in painting the plastic and the metal? I know I will need a primer first, then a couple of layers of paint, and then soem sort of varnish.

Any recommodations for paint? (brands and prices).

Any help will be appreciated and + repped

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do you mean not worth it?
This is just to try it, before I might do a real case.

·
Premium Member
2,606 Posts
Sand the case down, but not to bare metal though. Give it a few coats of automotive primer over a couple of days, go over the last coat with a very light grade sandpaper again. Begin applying very thing, very light coats of paint. You can add a coat of clear if you like afterwards, just let everything cure.

I used spray paint with a gun handle that I bought from lowes. I can't remember the brand, but it was an outdoor paint on my sig rig.

Here's one link that helped a bit.

After looking over a bit of stuff, it was rustoleum brand paint that I used.

·
Registered
859 Posts
You've already got the right idea for the inside - primer and a couple of coats of paint. Topcoat is optional. Here's a detailed guide.

For plastic, you need to use a special paint formulation. Like this.

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
I use painters touch from rustoleum. I do spray art as well as case painting/modding and have found painters touch to give a nice finish and is easy to work with. Sanding, priming, etc. is a must. I also use replacement nozzles for mine. I think they are made by A.I.M, but I'll check when I get home.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, thank you very much. It will probably be about two weeks before I can get started since I got a couple of exams coming up. Im think about keeping a work log for myself so I won't make the same mistakes twice

·
Registered
859 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey:)
View Post

Ok, thank you very much. It will probably be about two weeks before I can get started since I got a couple of exams coming up. Im think about keeping a work log for myself so I won't make the same mistakes twice

There you go. It will be a good reward for finshing exams. I look forward to the log!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts