Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on upgrading to the AMD FX-8120 or 8150 soon, seeing as how I'm still using a Phenom II 940BE; which is still a good processor but it's getting old and it's OC potential failed(3.4Ghz @1.475v). Problem is I have Windows 7 OEM and am currently running a DDR2/DDR3 board with DDR2 memory.

My question is, if I were to sell my motherboard, memory and processor, would it be legal to also sell my copy of Windows 7 OEM that is tied to said motherboard with it? I'd hate for the Windows 7 disc to go to waste and just sit there forever being useless.

·
Premium Member
7,711 Posts
Check the EULA. Being OEM it may be tied to the hardware.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've upgraded almost every part without issues. Either way though, I'd sell almost every part together(CPU, MOBO, MEM).

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I don't know about the legality of your sale (sounds ok- but I am no lawyer), but in general stating that you are going to upgrade to a Bulldozer has been defacto "outlawed" on this site. Expect a gang of vicious monkies to respond to your plan and hurl crap all over for the next day or so.
wink.gif

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I want to upgrade mostly because I see the FX series has potential, and can supposedly OC very well. On top of that, I want to upgrade to DDR3/AM3+ so I'm more future proof.

EDIT: Is AM3 and AM3+ the same? I keep searching for AM3+ mobos on newegg and most of the results are listed as just AM3; very little AM3+ boards.

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
I don't think you can legally sell an OEM windows license. But you could include it with the motherboard, ram , and cpu that you sell.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroChaos;15319940
I want to upgrade mostly because I see the FX series has potential, and can supposedly OC very well. On top of that, I want to upgrade to DDR3/AM3+ so I'm more future proof.

EDIT: Is AM3 and AM3+ the same? I keep searching for AM3+ mobos on newegg and most of the results are listed as just AM3; very little AM3+ boards.
Search for 990FX boards

·
Unwilling Beta tester
7,188 Posts
Well the market place rules state that:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rules

The following types of software sales and software accounts are prohibited in For Sale/Trade/Wanted/Freebie/Appraisal in Threads or Posts in any way shape or form at overclock.net

Sale/Trade/Wanted/Freebie of OEM software: Unless it's in the original, factory sealed package or never registered AND accompanied by a significant piece of hardware (defined as optical drive or larger). EXCEPT: Open OEM registered versions of Windows may be sold with the motherboard the OEM license is tied to.

So it seems that you are OK so long as it accompanies the motherboard.

·
Banned
204 Posts
Actually switching to BD from your current setup would be a downgrade. Just get an X6 1090T if you need moar coars

Legal or not, who cares. Youre the same user with the same liscence, just do it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpuperdudle
View Post

Actually switching to BD from your current setup would be a downgrade. Just get an X6 1090T if you need moar coars

Legal or not, who cares. Youre the same user with the same liscence, just do it.

Why would it be a downgrade? I'm sure it's architecture is better than the Phenom II 940BE's and it should be able to OC beyond 3.4Ghz which my current processor can't go beyond without getting unstable or heating up; and the extra four cores can only open up more potential for when software starts to take advantage of more cores.

·
Premium Member
6,030 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeroChaos
View Post

Why would it be a downgrade? I'm sure it's architecture is better than the Phenom II 940BE's and it should be able to OC beyond 3.4Ghz which my current processor can't go beyond without getting unstable or heating up; and the extra four cores can only open up more potential for when software starts to take advantage of more cores.

It would be a downgrade because BD sucks at this current time. give it 6 mo to a year and BD arch will be a much better bet. Can I ask what you use your PC for? if your just gaming, get an AM3+ board and use a 955BE, if your doing encoding or some other form of work get an AM3+ board and a PhenomII x6. it would be best to avoid BD at this current time. which sucks I know, but software dose not fully support it just yet and there are a few kinks with it. I'm betting there will be a second revision of BD soon. and by the time windows 8 hits BD should be a total beast but at this time its not worth the 200 bucks.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
You should be fine selling the windows copy like you stated, and yes buy the bd, it is not at all as fail as most want others to beleive. And no i,m not trying to defend amd, but bd is doing a lot better than the first reveiws came out and is still a great buy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts