1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Missing friends
15,996 Posts
might i ask why ? you cant use it for that mobo

·
Missing friends
15,996 Posts
where would you put it? there is no socket for it, you have an m2 and mpcie slot built into the board ( which is why you dont get one/ or a slot for one )

you can buy wifi ( MPCIE ) cards and the slot is already there for the Antenna wires
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDizzurp View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambush083 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDizzurp View Post

Asus decided to be cheapos and not include the WiFi card. I actually prefer it this way because I can purchase my own Intel mpcie card instead of the generic stuff they provide with the Impact and other M6 boards. The only problem you might have is finding an IPX to RP-SMA cable and antenna.
I thought it would be great. I got an Intel 7260. BT 4.0 and Wireless AC. It's not as good as my Netgear AC usb card. I disable it now. I'm not sure if somehow antennas are supposed to be used with it on the mpcie or not. They didn't include anything.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DMCVKMU/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Dude the mpcie WiFi cards are technically useless without antennas. You're going to need an IPX (or IPEX?) to RP-SMA cable.. two of them.

The IPX/IPEX/U.FL side goes to the mpcie card and the RP-SMA end goes to the I/O shield (the two holes at the very top). You'll probably also need antennas to connect to the RP-SMA end unless your router is right by your PC.

I ordered mine from DigiKey

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not sure if this is what you mean but the gene has a mpcie 2.0 slot for the mpcie combo iii to slot in - i am just wanting the combo for the wifi capabilities b/c i enjoyed the performance i was getting when i had the maximus formula 6. I am not going for the m2 sata capabilities if that is what you are saying. Thats mostly why I wanted the mpcie combo due to the firmware and familiarity.

·
Missing friends
15,996 Posts

look at the combo card. the combo card uses a header with pins ( i have the M7I ) not a pcie slot

you can purchase a wifi card for MPCIE but you will also need the antenna cables ( which i linked ) and some antenna

you can see the socket and the pins i am talking about

this is what you need

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Wireless-AC-Bluetooth-7260HMW-802-11ac/dp/B00FFFV9O6/ref=sr_1_24?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1418634581&sr=1-24&keywords=Intel+Network+7260

or you can part out the card, antenna and antenna wires

·
Missing friends
15,996 Posts
why ? you have the exact same thing

you have the m.2 on the mobo, and the Mpcie on the mobo ( all the combo is is m.2 on one side and mpcie on other ( the wifi is a MPCIE card that is preinstalled )

the m6 boards needed the combo card the m7 you can use anything as the slots are already on the mobo

·
RIP OCN 2018
3,119 Posts
I have one on my Maximus 6 Gene and I'm not using it.
Not sure if it's version 2 / compatible with Maximus 7 boards?

Also, I'm from Europe
smile.gif

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega Man View Post

why ? you have the exact same thing

you have the m.2 on the mobo, and the Mpcie on the mobo ( all the combo is is m.2 on one side and mpcie on other ( the wifi is a MPCIE card that is preinstalled )

the m6 boards needed the combo card the m7 you can use anything as the slots are already on the mobo
hahaha the soundcard xD ill just buy what you linked lol

·
Missing friends
15,996 Posts
Ok gl there are alot of reasons to upgrade to x99 but there are alot not to as well

1 - 13 of 13 Posts