Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for any high speed 939 dual core cpu. im building a win xp rig to play some older games and i want the fastest dual core to rock in my setup. am looking primarily for an amd athlon 64 fx-60 or an opteron 185. motherboard will be an asus A8N-SLI Deluxe with 4x1gb ddr 400mhz ram.

·
Premium Member
10,849 Posts
My best overclocker was a 3800+, 3g all day long.

• Rep+
Reactions: o1dschoo1

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
looking for any high speed 939 dual core cpu. im building a win xp rig to play some older games and i want the fastest dual core to rock in my setup. am looking primarily for an amd athlon 64 fx-60 or an opteron 185. motherboard will be an asus A8N-SLI Deluxe with 4x1gb ddr 400mhz ram.

·
Premium Member
10,849 Posts
FX are bad overclockers.

·
Premium Member
10,849 Posts
For xp games i doubt hes gonna need to oc that cpu beyond 3ghz.
He will be very lucky if he gets a fx to 3g

He should move this discussion to the 939 thread and the experts can chime in on the stepping to target, I forget.

Edit: Actually OP, pm Kryton. I'm sure he remembers off the top of his head.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Wow. I have just such a cpu. I have to up to the attic and get that old pc when I get home from work. Will let you know

·
sudo apt install sl
8,363 Posts
Have fun! I rebuilt a few old rigs recently. Athlon XP 2400+ rig and a de-lidded Athlon 64 X2 3800+ with a DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR

• Rep+
Reactions: SamuelL421

·
Registered
447 Posts
Opteron 190 probably ain't going to happen only seen one in the wild, possibly two and neither were for sale. 185 & FX 60 pretty hard to find also and that haven't had a hard life at this point in time. Fastest air & water subs for WP1024 are with a Opteron 165 but need a strong board, any opty looks good. Toledo's can go, seeing respectable results from the 3800 to 4600 although I've not had happy results with them.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Would the AMD 6400+ work on that board?

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
not a great update but an update. got a spare case and psu and an evga gtx 285 secondhand. total spent on the board and chip and ram and cpu cooler then the case psu and video card was $55. unfortunately in the bios of the asus board it looked unreadable. i swapped known good ddr 400mhz ram onto it and it was NOT happy whatsoever as in it wouldnt post. i put the ram that came in the board back in and got post but this is what i got out of it. i tried the gtx 285 in my ryzen build and it got to desktop one time then ceased doing so. i tried my rtx 3090 in the socket 939 build and no post.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so i believe the asus board is toast. does anyone have a spare socket 939 board that is KNOWN good that they would be willing to part with? prices of boards on ebay arent encouraging and i already ordered an opteron 180 chip and it showed up and i might be stuck with the chip anyway.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
so i believe the asus board is toast. does anyone have a spare socket 939 board that is KNOWN good that they would be willing to part with? prices of boards on ebay arent encouraging and i already ordered an opteron 180 chip and it showed up and i might be stuck with the chip anyway.
Ive seen that happen with a bad gpu. That 3090 might not boot in a old system like that. You might need a older gpu.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts