Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 10 year old PC build this year. I have upgraded memory/drive/gpu but kept my OG i7-920 overclocked CPU for forever. It been fine but I now am doing some simulation stuff and really want a $100ish upgrade that will save me hours of waiting without replacing my MB. I would strongly prefer the 990x.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I'd grab an X5650/70/75 Xeon straight away. Cheap as dirt compared to the vastly overpriced 980/990X's (I sold mine 5 months ago for more than 7700K/8600K's go for, imagine) and the Xeons overclock great. I ran my X5670 @ 4.45GHz 24/7.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
you'd love the boost on the Xeons.

I just put a WC loop on mine.

I have a ASUS P6X58D Premium board. got it to 4.2Ghz easily. the 980x / 990x was a cut down die from Xeon / Westmere if i am not mistaken.

aka Xeon would be a way cheaper option as Martin stated.

you should be able to get a solid X5675 for aroudn 40~50$ right now on ebay.

what kind of motherboard do you have? < This will determine on if you can really use a Xeon or not

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
I just did this same upgrade. Went from an i7 950 to a x5670. Both at around 4ghz. My Blu-ray 1080p encode from mkv to mp4 improved signicantly. And the CPU cost me $33 back in March. Just dropped it in on Tuesday night.

Just Google your motherboards support for xeons. My ga-x58-ud5 accepted the x5670 even though it's not on the support list, just in case there is some bug. You will likely want to update to the latest bios before making the swap.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a ASUS PT6 Deluxe, V1 not V2. The website does not say it supports that processor but people that have the V2, which also says its not supported, seem to use them just fine.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I have a ASUS PT6 Deluxe, V1 not V2. The website does not say it supports that processor but people that have the V2, which also says its not supported, seem to use them just fine.
it shouldnt matter then. mine is a V1 P6X58D premium and they said it wouldnt support it either. But here I am. can put in a xeon and 48GB's of ECC memory lol (twice the amount of specs they state it can handle)

Also, here's proof -

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2589820/asus-p6td-deluxe-xeon-support.html

I would highly suggest doing it. I jumped from a 930 myself. no regerts!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts