Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently in a dilemma between choices. I am not sure if i should purchase a voltage regulator or a surge suppressor for my current rig. I recently had a anetc psu blow a fuse in my house and would like to protect my investment now after that misfortune.

I read around and have seen people mention UPS and Voltage regulator and surge suppressor.

I really don't see the need for me having a UPS due to i away from home 60-70% of the day. Also the fact of not owning a server or a high priority rig puts me out the need for one.

While i am still confused which one should i purchase a regulator or a suppressor.

I am leaning towards the regulator due the ability to regulates the voltage coming into the outlet, but i am not sure if it also regulates the voltage that comes in from brown outs and electric strikes and what not. I have read in previous thread some people suggest a regulator over a suppressor. By why is that? Does it regulate and also prevents spike and shorts from reaching your equipment?

If someone can recommend me a good regulator or suppressor please let me know.

My budget is around 50-70$ tops.

I hear people recommending APC regulators. But are they any nicer units with more plugs?

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I would do a UPS system. I currently have an APC unit and it has done very well for me. I had all kinds of issues with power spikes and fluctuations with my old rig which would cause my hardware to fry.

Once I put my APC unit on the outlet all of that went away. Not to mention APC has one of the best warranties out there. One of my APC units took a surge and stopped working. APC had a new unit to me in 2 days and didn't even make me send the old one back.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts