Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building a computer for my friend, and Micro Center has this deal, when you buy a AMD Phenom II X6 1055T any motherboard is $40 dollars off.

First off I would like to say 'm very new to AMD and I'm building under a tight budget. I'm hoping someone can select me a great motherboard for reasonable price at Micro Center. I will be doing overclocking in the near future as well.

I was looking at this one today

http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0335518

Thanks OCN.
Michael.

·
sudo apt install sl
8,363 Posts
Thats a great bored but the heatsink on the bored may block an aftermarket heatsink.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by WannaBeOCer View Post
Thats a great bored but the heatsink on the bored may block an aftermarket heatsink.
Are you board?

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by WannaBeOCer View Post
I doubt it, I'm pretty the COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 I pick up at micro center for $19.99 will fit

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
yea that board would work well. I doubt the NB heatsink would get in the way..its probably no larger than the one in mine and i can fit a Xigmatek S1283 easily.

edit: actually, you might want to look into a board with MOSFET/VRM cooling if you're looking into overclocking. I wouldn't say its mandatory, but it helps a lot. I blew a MOSFET on an MSI board once.

·
sudo apt install sl
8,363 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffro422 View Post
Are you board?

I was reading cons about it on newegg, no major cons except that one.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by ez12a View Post
yea that board would work well. I doubt the NB heatsink would get in the way..its probably no larger than the one in mine and i can fit a Xigmatek S1283 easily.

edit: actually, you might want to look into a board with MOSFET/VRM cooling if you're looking into overclocking. I wouldn't say its mandatory, but it helps a lot. I blew a MOSFET on an MSI board once.
MOSFET/VRM??? is that an AMD thing?

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
no its both intel and amd. See those ~20 little black squares by the CPU socket? Those are MOSFETs and part of the voltage regulation for your CPU. Drawing too much voltage or not cooling them enough can make them go boom

if you look at higher end boards you see those are usually covered by a heatsink.

·
sudo apt install sl
8,363 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,682 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ez12a
View Post

Those are MOSFETs and part of the voltage regulation for your CPU. Drawing too much voltage or not cooling them enough can make them go boom

Like this one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts