Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been researching about doing my own custom loop for water cooling. but one thing that scares me away from it is the fact that the water discolors. is there any way to prevent this from happening is there decent rads to buy that this won't happen and the fluid also i was thinking of going with a clear red fluid and not that pastel crap. i am also going to be using the hard tubing and not the flexible crap..

·
I don't even like Linux
1,284 Posts
If that really concerns you just use clear coolant. Then you can flush it and replace with dyed coolant next time you conduct maintenance work on your system.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Distilled water with a biocide is the safest thing, but I've been using EK's UV coolant for a while now and have had no problems with it. Pastels will eventually fade and the particles will drop out, my EK UV has always had the same color from the day I put it in the loop. It doesn't pop as much as pastel, but you can still get a colored coolant with very little maintenance hassle.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i am thinking of going with the clear fluid over the pastel crap. it seems to be less maintance. i was looking at the EK brand and or the koolance brand

·
Retired?
2,021 Posts
Using Distilled water with biocide/ kill coil is what i got reccomended when i did a proper loop and its the best

its hassle free and i basically dont have to worry about anything

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimreaper71 View Post

i am thinking of going with the clear fluid over the pastel crap. it seems to be less maintance. i was looking at the EK brand and or the koolance brand
Like I said, EK has been really good to me, it's my go to coolant right now. Just remember their pastel is actually rebranded Mayhems so you will still have the chance that it will fade and drop out. Their clear and UV is the best stuff imo.

·
WaterCooler
1,341 Posts
Other than the initial cleaning/prep needed to make sure the pastel won't get ruined, it's pretty low maintenance. Run it through a coffee filter after a year of use, and it's good for 3 years. Most other coolants need to be completely replaced after a year.

I haven't used any EK or koolance fluids, but the mayhems x1 hasn't faded on me yet. Best way to keep your coolant good is to clean your rads. Baking soda flush if you want the cheap option, blitz kit if you don't mind spending the money/time needed for it.

You could do clear fluid and colored tubing also. I know monsoon does colored hardlines, not sure if anybody else does too. Primochill might have some but I haven't really looked.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
OP is oddly opinionated for seemingly first timer. If fading color is a issue which it kinda shouldn't since you should be flushing by the time it has any serious decaying even with hardline there is color PETG tube that is offered. If you wc your gpu have fun draining your loop anytime you need to remove it. Also listen to these guys strait water cools best, and you will have to flush it even if your loop is filled with jesus's tears.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitrevX View Post

OP is oddly opinionated for seemingly first timer.
Welcome to the new world, where watching it on You Tube and taking the opinions of other first timers as gospel is considered a far more credible source than having done it yourself.
tongue.gif

·
Premium Member
27,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciarlatano View Post

Welcome to the new world, where watching it on You Tube and taking the opinions of other first timers as gospel is considered a far more credible source than having done it yourself.
tongue.gif
Often its a first timer You Tube video too.

In this day and age why bother checking with people who have years of experience dealing with these things? There are so many place to ask questions and get people with like identity ten tea tendencies to agree with unfound ill-logic they don't need to be rational anymore.
biggrin.gif
. And when they screw it all up it's so easy to blaime the manufacturer.
tongue.gif

·
I Am Gooble Gobble
6,669 Posts
Quote:

ironically, flexible tubing isnt bad and is actually a reccomendation for first timers to cause less of a hassle.

that whole rig right there is flexible tubing and ive been using flexible for 4 builds now, just due to the time consuming process and exact precision nature of hardline.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCSarge View Post

ironically, flexible tubing isnt bad and is actually a reccomendation for first timers to cause less of a hassle.

that whole rig right there is flexible tubing and ive been using flexible for 4 builds now, just due to the time consuming process and exact precision nature of hardline.
I went back to flexible since the difference in runs in my loop was.....basically nothing. Soft tubing is far easier to work with, and we won't even get into component changes and maintenance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
how often do people have to do a system dump and flush??? from what i have been researching it seems like every 6 months is the norm???

·
Banned
4,627 Posts
Quote:

how often do people have to do a system dump and flush??? from what i have been researching it seems like every 6 months is the norm???
Honestly some people have gone over a year without a flush. Depends on your case, your tubing and how much sun hits your case.

Me personally i went with black ek rubber tubing, no plasticizer, no evaporation, no discoloration and a lot less uv penetration (uv helps bacteria and stuff grow). If using pastels and dyes and all that garbage probably a lot sooner. Straight distilled is the best as any other additive/ingredient in the water changes heat absorption up to a point. I went with distilled and biocide and no issues.

P.S. I just started water cooling 2 months ago and built my system 2-3x between changing rad location and getting a new case.

·
I Am Gooble Gobble
6,669 Posts
colored tubing and distilled/biocide is the way to go. so much easier to maintain. i get away with changing coolant once a year, but my case gets no sun so.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciarlatano View Post

tongue.gif
Yeah when I saw the comments I was like yep, that's JaysTwoCents talking through someone else.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Personally, I don't like the maintenance associated with dyed/colored coolants. Plain steam-distilled water with some Nuke PHN, and all you have to do is top the reservoir off every 6 or so months. My reservoirs are as clear as the day I filled them.

·
Banned
4,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofmyheadyo View Post

There was this thread about a guy who just used distilled water for 4 years, and nothing really happened in his loop.
I don't doubt it. Especially if you use a colored tube (provided it doesnt leech) or black rubber tubing and your reservoir is out of the sunlight, theres really NO WAY for algae and what not to grow, they need light specifically UV light.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts