Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't seen one of these threads. I'm surprised more people aren't as excited as I am. I just saw the first footage of the game. Gameplay starts at 2:37, I can't wait.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,033 Posts
Bought it and keep forgetting about it. I hope they put some more effort into the graphics before release as it doesn't look much better than Fallout Tactics right now, but I'm excited none the less
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huzzbutt View Post

Bought it and keep forgetting about it. I hope they put some more effort into the graphics before release as it doesn't look much better than Fallout Tactics right now, but I'm excited none the less
Funny, could have sworn Fallout: Tactics was 1024x768 max resolution with textures appropriately dated for 4:3 ratios.

Yep... Pretty sure we were all using CRTs back then.
wink.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,376 Posts
Anyone know the release date? I keep getting it mixed up with other kickstarter release dates.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,033 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganf View Post

Funny, could have sworn Fallout: Tactics was 1024x768 max resolution with textures appropriately dated for 4:3 ratios.

Yep... Pretty sure we were all using CRTs back then.
wink.gif
Yep, that's why I'm asking for better looks.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huzzbutt View Post

Yep, that's why I'm asking for better looks.
It's not even a pre-alpha yet, buddy, and the art assets are just fine. Grab a copy of the Unity kit and check them out for yourself. Dev kit is free to download and it's free to browse the marketplace, which is where they are getting some of their assets: from backers who have put their concepts for game assets up for sale.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,033 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganf View Post

It's not even a pre-alpha yet, buddy, and the art assets are just fine. Grab a copy of the Unity kit and check them out for yourself. Dev kit is free to download and it's free to browse the marketplace, which is where they are getting some of their assets: from backers who have put their concepts for game assets up for sale.
Well I don't agree with you. The graphics would have been passable or OK back in 2006. Don't get me wrong I'm still going to play it, already bought it so. But I'm not going to be enthusiastic about a Higher res version of Commandos backgrounds with Fallout Tactics lookalike enemies.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganf View Post

It'snot even a pre-alpha yet, buddy, and the art assets are just fine. Grab a copy of the Unity kit and check them out for yourself. Dev kit is free to download and it's free to browse the marketplace, which is where they are getting some of their assets: from backers who have put their concepts for game assets up for sale.
Criticize a product that is somewhere remotely close to finished.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,744 Posts
I'm a backer. It is looking fantastic!
If I am remembering correctly (there are a lot of posts and updates) the art is still missing a lot of effects. So the current state is amazing looking by comparison to what most titles might look like as basically a pilot status for publishers to give the yes / no.

The expected release date I believe is sometime late 2014. That might just be the beta for backers though.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aparition View Post

I'm a backer. It is looking fantastic!
If I am remembering correctly (there are a lot of posts and updates) the art is still missing a lot of effects. So the current state is amazing looking by comparison to what most titles might look like as basically a pilot status for publishers to give the yes / no.

The expected release date I believe is sometime late 2014. That might just be the beta for backers though.
None of the dates have been even close to solidified since the game is so far from release. This is a problem I have with kickstarter; people have paid up front, so they nag and whine and pester until the devs cough up something for them to stare at and speculate over, and then when it isn't a fully fleshed out, AAA title with scenes from a top-notch cinematics studio spliced in, they cry foul, even if it is going to be 2 years before the game is even playable to a fair degree.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,744 Posts
Ya but that might just be more of a problem with the people using Kickstarter
tongue.gif


Unlike some other devs I backed Inxile is very up-front with their progress, direction, and communication with backers. So I expect the "whining" to be less.
It is simply amazing that this game is even being created, and the people behind it. If it takes till 2015 to finish it but they do it right, I'm ok with this.
One of the biggest challenges will be the story and player depth. The fancy graphics is really just a plus for this type of game. The Engine they are using is great.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aparition View Post

Ya but that might just be more of a problem with the people using Kickstarter
tongue.gif


Unlike some other devs I backed Inxile is very up-front with their progress, direction, and communication with backers. So I expect the "whining" to be less.
It is simply amazing that this game is even being created, and the people behind it. If it takes till 2015 to finish it but they do it right, I'm ok with this.
One of the biggest challenges will be the story and player depth. The fancy graphics is really just a plus for this type of game. The Engine they are using is great.
SRPG's have never been about anything but gameplay. Some of the best in existence are purely text-driven. Nobody understands this anymore.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,033 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganf View Post

Criticize a product that is somewhere remotely close to finished.
whoa! yeah sure whatever I'm like totally like something like: (you know like reading comprehension and stuff like man.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huzzbutt View Post

Bought it and keep forgetting about it. I hope they put some more effort into the graphics before release as it doesn't look much better than Fallout Tactics right now, but I'm excited none the less
It's fun to quote yourself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,033 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aparition View Post

Ya but that might just be more of a problem with the people using Kickstarter
tongue.gif


Unlike some other devs I backed Inxile is very up-front with their progress, direction, and communication with backers. So I expect the "whining" to be less.
It is simply amazing that this game is even being created, and the people behind it. If it takes till 2015 to finish it but they do it right, I'm ok with this.
One of the biggest challenges will be the story and player depth. The fancy graphics is really just a plus for this type of game. The Engine they are using is great.
Fancy graphics are a plus I agree but most games in the genre have looked their "age" no worse no better. It's not much to expect. I'm not looking for something to blow my mind but I hold the bar the same way I held it when measuring the real Fallout games, I compared them to their peers after i bought them and they held up.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huzzbutt View Post

whoa! yeah sure whatever I'm like totally like something like: (you know like reading comprehension and stuff like man.)
It's fun to quote yourself.
My reading comprehension is fine. Your insistence on comparing an incomplete game that you can easily view the art assets for in detail as being created in 2k or better resolution to one that can't even run on current technology without adaptation is rather ludicrous, however. Forgive me if I immediately call out any misrepresentation of the facts. It's a habit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,033 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganf View Post

My reading comprehension is fine. Your insistence on comparing an incomplete game that you can easily view the art assets for in detail as being created in 2k or better resolution to one that can't even run on current technology without adaptation is rather ludicrous, however. Forgive me if I immediately call out any misrepresentation of the facts. It's a habit.
Until artwork/resourcess are in game and showcased in a demo they are of no consequence.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huzzbutt View Post

Until artwork/resourcess are in game and showcased in a demo they are of no consequence.
Then why have you been critiquing them?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,033 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganf View Post

Then why have you been critiquing them?
If you want to have a discussion read my posts, if you have questions or don't understand what I've written ask me and i will clarify.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huzzbutt View Post

Bought it and keep forgetting about it. I hope they put some more effort into the graphics before release as it doesn't look much better than Fallout Tactics right now, but I'm excited none the less
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huzzbutt View Post

Yep, that's why I'm asking for better looks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huzzbutt View Post

Well I don't agree with you. The graphics would have been passable or OK back in 2006. Don't get me wrong I'm still going to play it, already bought it so. But I'm not going to be enthusiastic about a Higher res version of Commandos backgrounds with Fallout Tactics lookalike enemies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huzzbutt View Post

Fancy graphics are a plus I agree but most games in the genre have looked their "age" no worse no better. It's not much to expect. I'm not looking for something to blow my mind but I hold the bar the same way I held it when measuring the real Fallout games, I compared them to their peers after i bought them and they held up.
And then
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huzzbutt View Post

Until artwork/resourcess are in game and showcased in a demo they are of no consequence.
I'm just staying on the topic you chose here.

InXile may have a pedigree, but they are a small company. This is a low budget game given the inflation of production costs in the last 12 years since Fallout: Tactics was released, and while you may have found it impressive at the time, it was actually very underwhelming for the rest of us. There was actually a lot of complaints about the fact that the game looked identical to the last two, with a slightly higher resolution setting in the options menu. That is to say, games 4-5 years older than it. So you can safely date the graphical fidelity of the game at around 1997. Which is giving it a lot of leeway, since Ultima Online looked better, and that was an MMO with graphical assets fleshed out in '96.

So uh... Do you actually want me to throw up a screenshot so you can count the pixels? It won't be hard at 1080p, I promise you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,033 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganf View Post

And then
I'm just staying on the topic you chose here.
I'm talking about overall looks and they don't please me, they look like something from 2006 at best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganf View Post

InXile may have a pedigree, but they are a small company. This is a low budget game given the inflation of production costs in the last 12 years since Fallout: Tactics was released, and while you may have found it impressive at the time, it was actually very underwhelming for the rest of us. There was actually a lot of complaints about the fact that the game looked identical to the last two, with a slightly higher resolution setting in the options menu. That is to say, games 4-5 years older than it. So you can safely date the graphical fidelity of the game at around 1997. Which is giving it a lot of leeway, since Ultima Online looked better, and that was an MMO with graphical assets fleshed out in '96.
Fallout tactics


Fallout 2


No there weren't many complains about the graphical similarities, nor did many feel like it was outdated. I never said the graphics were impressive, it's just that they weren't bad. Sticking with a style when making a sequel (even if it's non canon) is rarely seen as a bad thing, unless the style was disliked.

Another game in isometric released in 2001 for comparison (arcanum)


And here's ultima online


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganf View Post

So uh... Do you actually want me to throw up a screenshot so you can count the pixels? It won't be hard at 1080p, I promise you.
No thanks, I'm set. That snippy sentence at the end made me see that I was wrong about everything and now i agree with your viewpoint.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top