Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im planning a water cooling loop for my build.

It be in a Corsair 900D case.
So got lots of room for rads.

My question-

How much better is a thick rad vs thinner rad (480-mm quad rad)

I was looking at Alphacool rads.

Was originally planning on an Alphacool Monsta 80-mm thick rad.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/16237/ex-rad-412/Alphacool_NexXxoS_Monsta_Quad_120mm_Radiator_-_80mm_Thick.html

-The price is $144 ( 480-mm quad by 80-mm thick

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/15666/ex-rad-375/Alphacool_NexXxoS_ST30_Full_Copper_Slim_Profile_Quad_120mm_Radiator.html

-the price for this is $84 (480-mm quad 30-mm thick

Is the extra thickness much better for the price or is it not worth it.
Or is the extra thickness only helpful if you have it in a push/pull configuration.

Also would it be better to buy 2 of the thin rads instead of one thick rad, only $30 difference.

So instead of putting one thick rad in push/pull. i put 2 thin rads in push.
Would this be a better setup.

Off topic a bit.
What fans would work well with the listed rads?
TY.

If any one got any better ideas please advice.

Sorry wrote this in a rush I apologies for any spelling errors.

all advice appreciated thanks

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
Hello,
At the end of the day the thick / thin rad debate ends at fans ...... if you do not like noise and want low RPM fans then I suggest you get thinner rads ,. but if noise is not a issue , I would get 80mm thick rads and 2300+ RPM fans , I am at the same spot you are!!! watercooling my 900D !
thumb.gif

-ROG

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
i use 80mm thick low FPI radiators and i run my 1000rpm fans at 5volts, so they run at about 450rpm.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by REPUBLICOFGAMER View Post

Hello,
At the end of the day the thick / thin rad debate ends at fans ...... if you do not like noise and want low RPM fans then I suggest you get thinner rads ,. but if noise is not a issue , I would get 80mm thick rads and 2300+ RPM fans , I am at the same spot you are!!! watercooling my 900D !
thumb.gif

-ROG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean W. View Post

i use 80mm thick low FPI radiators and i run my 1000rpm fans at 5volts, so they run at about 450rpm.
OK thanks for the advice.

So I think i'll go with 2 thin rads with 4 fans each (push configuration), instead of a single thick rad with with 8 fans (push/pull configuration).

Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts