Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

I don't really know what's out there in terms of water cooling... what are some of the best inexpensive water cooling setups? Would it be possible to get a good setup (complete kit, preferably) for around $100 or so? And if so, would it perform better than, say, a XP-120 HS with a good fan on it? I guess I'm just wondering if watercooling is worth looking into if I'm not able to spend too much cash on a setup?

Thanks!

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbescup
Hello guys,

I don't really know what's out there in terms of water cooling... what are some of the best inexpensive water cooling setups? Would it be possible to get a good setup (complete kit, preferably) for around $100 or so? And if so, would it perform better than, say, a XP-120 HS with a good fan on it? I guess I'm just wondering if watercooling is worth looking into if I'm not able to spend too much cash on a setup?

Thanks!
I'd stick with an XP-120+Good Fan unless i was going to spend around $200-$250 on a water cooling system...anything less than that and an xp-120 will be just as good if not better

·
Banned
955 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xms
I'd stick with an XP-120+Good Fan unless i was going to spend around $200-$250 on a water cooling system...anything less than that and an xp-120 will be just as good if not better
i second this opinion

·
Banned
1,018 Posts
good air cooling is better but recentley i have read man man am ny revirews about the asktek waterchill kt03-l20 entry level kit and it apears to be semi good , but for under $100 a diy kit is wat u r gonna need eg an aquarium motor; a radiator out of an old car(free-scrap) custom hoses (free/$3-5) hose clips, any your home made radiator and an old fan (or nu 1 for $~12) - this is how it ust b done in the old days b4 danger den all u will ned is a waterblock that will fit ur cpu soc and hose size -this is a very risky setup due to leakage risks but its also cheap!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
i don't know guys:

1 - dual heatercore -- $30
1 - decent waterblock - $40-50
1 - water pump -- $30-40

Misc. --$20-30

Total: 120 - 140

would totally beat xp-120....

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by newbieocer
i don't know guys:

1 - dual heatercore -- $30
1 - decent waterblock - $40-50
1 - water pump -- $30-40

Misc. --$20-30

Total: 120 - 140

would totally beat xp-120....
Plus....

4x Fans for the heatercore
Heatercore shrouds
3 Meters of tubing
De-ionised water
Coolant
Reservoir?

Also, what pump can you get for $30? A decent pump over here costs £30.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xms

Plus....

4x Fans for the heatercore (free - gotta have some 120's lying around, plus you dont need to do the push pull config...i dont !)
Heatercore shrouds (free - make them out of tupaware)
3 Meters of tubing (10-15 bucks, included in the "misc" costs)
De-ionised water ($2 at any grocery store)
Coolant ($3-4 bucks at any auto store)
Reservoir? (free - don't need one, just t-line it)

Also, what pump can you get for $30? A decent pump over here costs £30.

what do you think of that!

ahh, as for the pump, and pet store can score you a decent pump for 30-45 (add the extra to the misc. cost if you want)

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
No one likes kits here but the thermaltake big water has got decent reviews. It would be safe, look decent and is 115-150. Thats only if you need water and safe it wont do much better than the 120. Air is still going to be the best bet for the price and maybe go danger den when you have more cash.

·
Banned
955 Posts
I have yet to see a kit that performs well enough.... not to justify its cost...for the effort they cool no better than good air... a kit is for someone who doesn't want extreme cooling... just low noise... and for that id suggest an xp-120 with a low db 120mm fan... see what you dont realize is that decibels are measurable sound... but no so much audible sound in the traditional sense... and 80mm fan at 50db could be suicide provoking but a 120mm at that db is nothing.... because of pitch.... see with 80mm you have a loud high pitched whir... but with 120mm you have a lower whir which is not annoying or near as annoying... I am a fan whore because i have a ceiling fan on as well as a 2 foot floor fan pulling coldness fromt he tinfoil over my window... and when gaming i don some sweats and open the window to force cold air over my pc.... gets my idle temps as low as 25c... friggin great!

my experience with kits is that each component is weaker than what you would but seperately... the fan is weak, the block(s) are weak, the tubes are small and the pump is weak... each one of those adds up to low efficiency and sad temps... on the flipside each quality custom component used helps that much more... kits have their place... and its not extreme overclocking

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well I am very happy with with my EverCool WC-202, all in one kit for $96. You get 5.25 display unit with first stage radiator and fan, a CPU block, a GPU block, and a 2nd stage radiator and fan. Its quiet, all the pieces are included but the position of the the 2nd stage radiator and fan are critical, I have a front mounted 120mm case fan feeding the 80mm 2nd stage unit, both at low speed.

Check it out on the web, it got good ratings, looks cool, and a kit. Temps are good (below)

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
since u already have a zalman 700B-Cu, just get a 92mm delta fan, add it in and live with it until u can afford good watercooling, gettin a delta off ebay for a few bucks would be more worthwhile than getting XP-120 rite now, and save up the 100$

·
Registered
38 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ufo8mydog4real
Check it out on the web, it got good ratings, looks cool, and a kit. Temps are good (below)
i don't see idle/load temps for your cpu?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts