Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello people,

I am building a comp when I get back home and I really want to make a custom water cooling set up for my future rig seeing how I can't find a set up to do what I want. I just wanted the experienced people out there to help me in deciding if these parts are good for it and if not what would be some changes you would make. I will be using non-Conductive water coolant. The WB's will be for an AMD 2+ 4870 x2 build. All of the fittings for the equipment listed is rated for 1/2 ID tubing. If any one out there has a water cooled 4870 x2 please let me know what would be good to cool the mem modules.

Hydor L30 in-line 320 GHP pump
2 Black Ice 120mm radiators
D- Tec Fuzion v2 CPU water block for the Phenom 9950 Black Edition
2 Swiftec MCW60-R2 VGA water block for the 4870 x2
Danger Den 32 ounce 5.25 double bay reservior
250mm Cooling fan

This is what I will use as far as product wise. When I get home I will build the custom set up which all of it will be external except for the WB's and some tubing of course. I will take picture of the future build and post it for you AMD loyals to see. I do not want to spend more that $450 for the set up

·
HEC Club
13,593 Posts
I can sell you 2 120mm radiators if you want

·
Premium Member
8,997 Posts
i don't think your rads will be able to take the heat dump from both gpus and cpu... as for your 4870X2, most will tell you to cool it with an EK fullcover top as its quality is top notch while DangerDens has been lacking for that block.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really like the two I have picked. They seemed powder coated blue and I like characteristics of the radiators. Sorry! I am however interested in the gpu cooling device that is noted on your system specs. I will try to find it and see what it is about. Thank you though.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by nafljhy View Post
i don't think your rads will be able to take the heat dump from both gpus and cpu... as for your 4870X2, most will tell you to cool it with an EK fullcover top as its quality is top notch while DangerDens has been lacking for that block.
I thought about adding a third radiator for the extra cooling. Do you think I might need a seperate set up for the gpu. I will check out the product you speak of.

·
HEC Club
13,593 Posts
the thermal performance of the dd block is top notched, but dd's attention to detail sucks balls.

·
Banned
2,547 Posts
That's a low voltage nafjhy , nice OC,,,

Just remember @ end of the day your water cooling setup and how it performs comes down to ambient room temps 74F is great ,, anything higher and the liquid gets really hot.

Once used in 95F, Winter or Fall is best time to overclock lol,,

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by nafljhy
View Post

heh, yea... OC'ing would know

well if you look at the other Black ice rads, they look any other black ice rads... i wouldn't go for it just cause it looks powdered, but thats my 2cents. i would say atleast 2x120mm rad.

I have two BI 120mm picked out. It is not becuase of the looks I picked it. It is because it has double finned copper cores and build in plenum chamber.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by OC'ing Noob
View Post

the thermal performance of the dd block is top notched, but dd's attention to detail sucks balls.

I did some looking around and found for full covers for my 4870x2. Good job ont the feed back from every one. I had been looking for some thing like these below.

xspc razor
dd-4870-x2
koolance vid 487x2
ek-fc4870x2

I am sure that these products will cool the card down quite well. I read the DD-4870 reviews from some people and there are cosmetic design issues like production slag on the cover it self. I did not get any reviews for the others. It would most likely come down to either the EK or the koolance.

·
HEC Club
13,593 Posts
i personally would pick up a koolance block as fast as I would pick up a fat chick (I am not very strong or desperate btw if you were wondering which way to interpret that) and I have heard good things about the XSPC waterblock from John at J-T. The EK does not come with any fittings and in some cases are even missing washers according to John who stopped carrying them. As far as the DD, don't get me wrong, it is a great waterblock and since I can't see it I can live with its looks. Unfortunately the bad is just that; it is ugly as hell has has some cosmetic flaws, most of which you will never see once you put it on.

• Rep+
Reactions: brian.s.dean

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

View Post

i personally would pick up a koolance block as fast as I would pick up a fat chick (I am not very strong or desperate btw if you were wondering which way to interpret that) and I have heard good things about the XSPC waterblock from John at J-T. The EK does not come with any fittings and in some cases are even missing washers according to John who stopped carrying them. As far as the DD, don't get me wrong, it is a great waterblock and since I can't see it I can live with its looks. Unfortunately the bad is just that; it is ugly as hell has has some cosmetic flaws, most of which you will never see once you put it on.

Thank you for the advice. I was seriouly going to get that Koolance VID. I think all the full covers would be x- ready. Is it important for the company to state that. Where can I find J-T by the way for info such as what you got.

·
HEC Club
13,593 Posts
j-t = jab-tech.com a reseller for parts and I believe John is the owner. EK make great products though and getting it over the others will still give you really happy results. Both the DD and EK make great products and it won't matter how ugly the DD is once you put it on since you can't see it anymore. As far as LC accessories are concerned, XSPC had great products in DDC3.2 custom tops as well as the limited XSPC Edge.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

View Post

Why is koolance not so good with you. and does this go for other koolance products as well. I figured I would go with 2 DD black ice gt 240 rads and a turbulant reducing small res.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/40...?tl=g30c95s160
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/22...?tl=g30c97s168

There has got to be a way to shorten a link right? I don't know how.

·
HEC Club
13,593 Posts
Once upon a time when I was young and dumb, I bought a Lian Li case with a built in Koolance Exo2. Long story short, temperatures were crappy, tubing was restrictive, and pump and blocks were under performing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts