Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember not so long ago I read a review of a water cooling device that cooled the liquid electrically or something like that (almost like a fridge or maybe using the same principle). I remember that during the test there was condensation because it cooled the liquid below ambient temperature and it looked really awesome (not having condensation in your rig, but that device).

My problem is that I cannot find the review to get more info on that cooler or similar ones, does any one here know what the hell am I talking about and give me a pointer in the right direction? =P

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by nzgroller View Post
do you mean a phase change?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Th0m0_202 View Post
probablly a phase change unit.
Yeah one of those, I'll remember the name now. Thanks!

Time to read =)

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm the phase changes I'm seeing are BIG, the one I read about had a size of a 3,5" HDD, but I cannot find anything about it =(

It may was some other technology, as I don't remember it mentioning a compressor or anything like that, but maybe my memory is betraying me.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by nzgroller View Post
well, good luck seeking information

lol, that sounds weird.
Yeah, thanks!

I'll ask in the phase change forum directly as it seems more related.

·
Watercooling Enthusiast
4,799 Posts
There are also water chillers for wc setups that work similarly to phase change units only not quite as extreme

·
Premium Member
5,945 Posts
I think you're talking about peltiers. They use electricity to create a temperature difference between the two sides. They also increase the amount of heat that you have to dissipate, so if you're going to use them you're going to need to increase the number of radiators that you have.

Basically, if you trying to use one to cool a 150w CPU:

-Consume 100w of power
-Hot side dissipates 250w of heat
-Cold side absorbs 150w of heat

They also aren't as efficient as a dedicated phase change unit.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by charliehorse55 View Post
I think you're talking about peltiers. They use electricity to create a temperature difference between the two sides. They also increase the amount of heat that you have to dissipate, so if you're going to use them you're going to need to increase the number of radiators that you have.

Basically, if you trying to use one to cool a 150w CPU:

-Consume 100w of power
-Hot side dissipates 250w of heat
-Cold side absorbs 150w of heat

They also aren't as efficient as a dedicated phase change unit.
I think that was it, from what I've seen doing a fast google search (still I cannot find the review I saw).

For now I'm not moving from water cooling (probably will extend the loop from just the CPU to the GPU too on my next build) but I like to see what other options are, just if in the future I have money or a rig that may need better cooling.

I cannot wait to move from my Thermaltake Kandalf LCS (I love this rig) and make a custom WC build on a CoolerMaster HAF-X.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts