Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i am trying to decide whether i should watercool my i5 750 or Q6600. I have been watercooling the i5 for a while now (few months) and i noticed that i can't push higher than 4.2Ghz no matter what i do. I believe my motherboard has an FSBish wall at 215 blk. So my air cooling solution worked fine to cool the i5 at 4ghz which I'm going to leave the cpu at. As for the Q6600, i have had it running at 3.2ghz for almost a year. I really love this chip, and the performance is on par with my i5 when i5 is not overclocked. As you should all know the Q6600 puts out a lot of heat, and mine is no different.
The real reason i think watercooling my i5 was a bad idea is because i have it in a micro case with tubing out the PCI slot. I want to upgrade my graphics but don't have enough slots D: soo now i would have to get a bigger case (i got a small one because i take it with me a lot), and i don't like big cases. The Q6600 is in an Antec P182 and that case has plenty of room to throw my watercooling into it.
So what do you all think? Should i go for it and watercool that old processor, or should i stick with i5 because its faster?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Honestly, I'd go with the Q6600. The spaced saved in the i5 build and the fact that the i5 only loses 0.2GHz shows that water cooling isn't really worth it for that build, whereas the Q6600 has a lot more headroom to work with.

Either way, your chip at that clock is gonna consume massive amounts of power and be hot, but the i5 performs better for the level of heat given off.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I say WC the Q6600 since it's an older chip. Then proceed to push the highest OC you can get out of it (assuming you have a decent enough board to do so).

·
Premium Member
9,985 Posts
the Q6600 should hit around 3.6 to 3.8 ghz on water around 1.5v if its a decent chip, i would wc that

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkpower45
View Post

well i guess i am stuck... my P182 does not have any room to put a double long 120 rad
so i am stuck using it with my micro case haha funny how the smaller case fits it and the bigger one does not.

the Swiftech "rad box" is what you need, try and find one of the orginal ones, as the new ones are made of plastic and fell not as strong, mabe its cause i have a triple wide rad hanginf from it, but i would like the metal one over this plastic kind they make now. or just ge some metal strips and bend them into a bracket.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts