Overclock.net banner

41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
I've got both worm drive and the plastic type on my system. They both work equally well. One thing I learned the hard way with the worm drives is: even if you think it's tightened as much as possible, wait a minute, and then give it some more elbow grease. I have never personall had a problem with them cutting into the tubing. I center one of the barb lips in the clamp, so that way the edges have no possibility of cutting into the tubing.

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoAffinity

I've got both worm drive and the plastic type on my system. They both work equally well. One thing I learned the hard way with the worm drives is: even if you think it's tightened as much as possible, wait a minute, and then give it some more elbow grease. I have never personall had a problem with them cutting into the tubing. I center one of the barb lips in the clamp, so that way the edges have no possibility of cutting into the tubing.

oh ok that makes more sense now... cuz i use the worm drives in like hoses nd crap like that, and ive never had a problem, but some people say they have... i wonder if i coudl put something in between the clamp and the hose... mb like a rubber grommet or somethign close to that?

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by atvkid1090

oh ok that makes more sense now... cuz i use the worm drives in like hoses nd crap like that, and ive never had a problem, but some people say they have... i wonder if i coudl put something in between the clamp and the hose... mb like a rubber grommet or somethign close to that?

That might be a good idea. I would leak test it before putting it on the comp, tho.

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoAffinity

That might be a good idea. I would leak test it before putting it on the comp, tho.

yeah def that way i can get a tighter clamp and not cut into the hose lines... il test it b4 i actually do it..lol thanks noaffin

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I havent' been able to find the spring clamps anywhere localy. I got my from www.mcmaster.com . Search for "spring clamps" then go to constant-tension spring hose and tube clamps. That link will bring you to page 215 in the catalog. I got the "Wide-Band Self-Tightening Spring Hose and Tube Clamps." Their about $4.42 for 10.

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeathONator

I havent' been able to find the spring clamps anywhere localy. I got my from www.mcmaster.com . Search for "spring clamps" then go to constant-tension spring hose and tube clamps. That link will bring you to page 215 in the catalog. I got the "Wide-Band Self-Tightening Spring Hose and Tube Clamps." Their about $4.42 for 10.

thanks a lot Death

·
Registered
90 Posts
One trick I learned with worm clamps is to use a small strip of plastic looped around the tubing as a condom for the tubing to prevent biting. The reason it bites is the rubber is soft enough to squeeze. Centering the clamp over a "valley" in the hose barb prevents the biting, but I think it "weakens" the sealing ability of the clamp.

·
Premium Member
8,208 Posts
FYI everyone I found a dual heater core at the local Autozone. It came out to $21.31 after tax which IMO is better than paying $34.99 + shipping from DD. When you ask at Autozone just tell them it's for a '77 Pontiac Bonneville. They'll ask "with or without A/C?" Say without. At first I said with A/C but when I opened up the box it looked different than the one from DD pictured here. So make sure it has the part# 398219 and open the box to look at it before you buy it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Regarding hose clamps, I had some intended for automotive fuel injection systems. They are solid with no slits to bite and they wrap completely around with a nice bolt going through two tabs.

They are stainlless which means they look nice and they are made by Ideal.

I needed more but after 3 different auto supply places I still couldn't find any. I had saved these from a kit I install about five years ago.

They look and work much better than the plastic clips I bought and the normal hose clamps available everywhere.

Meg Ahurts

·
Premium Member
8,208 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meg ahurts

Regarding hose clamps, I had some intended for automotive fuel injection systems. They are solid with no slits to bite and they wrap completely around with a nice bolt going through two tabs.

They are stainlless which means they look nice and they are made by Ideal.

I needed more but after 3 different auto supply places I still couldn't find any. I had saved these from a kit I install about five years ago.

They look and work much better than the plastic clips I bought and the normal hose clamps available everywhere.

Meg Ahurts

Are those what are refered to as "T-Clamps?" If so, then those are the best! They were in high demand for clamping hoses during the good ole car racing days.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Problem: I tried running a somewhat "24 hour test" without actually running my computer. This is with the thermaltake bigwater cooling system yet this cooler runs on internal power so what do i do...and is it true i should run a 4 day, 100% load test to let the thermal compound set properly...if so, where can i get a good benchmark program cause i found some but they suck

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
run your entire system (wc) outside your box, with everything laying on the ground. turn your comp on w/ the pump connected to the Molex.

·
Registered
120 Posts
what you can do is short pin 13 and 14 on the mobo power connector (20 or 24-pin). You can than power up the wc setup without turning on the mobo. Just remember to disconnect the 4-pin 12v ATX conenctor and any power going to the video card

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
Hey Death, on the listing of blocks you didn't list the Swiftech's. Is there a particular reason? I know the Alphacool from Germany is the "best" but just try getting one. The Little River Cascade is next in line with the Swiftech third (except the 5000A). The DD blocks are next in line with the RBX a little better than the TDX. Just wondering...

In case it hasn't been posted before, here is am interactive comaparison in chart form...pick the blocks and see their performance.

http://www.procooling.com/html/pro_testing.php

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
At the time I wrote the article the swiftechs weren't that great.

In response to tt_shark (months late I know), download prime95 and run it's "torture test." It's the more stressful test out there as far as I know. There's a link to it here

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeathONator

At the time I wrote the article the swiftechs weren't that great.

In response to tt_shark (months late I know), download prime95 and run it's "torture test." It's the more stressful test out there as far as I know. There's a link to it here

OCCT torture test will do ya good too. It heats up real nice and quick.

41 - 60 of 89 Posts