Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
r/madlads
Joined
·
8,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
How much space do you have inside your case? IMHO the cylindrical reservoir is better because you can use it on top of the pump where the Bay Reservoir you need to tweak it a bit so it feeds your pump well (when you are filling your loop for the 1st time you need to tilt your case so the pump doesn't run dry...). But in the end it all depends on what you like the most and what fits well on your loop/case. Regarding the temps it doesn't really make a big difference if you have a bigger or smaller reservoir.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,136 Posts
Res is only needed to keep check on the water level and to make sure the pump doesn't get to run dry. Smaller res is usually preferred. Tube reservoirs are easier to mount in such fashion where it feeds directly to the pump.
 

·
r/madlads
Joined
·
8,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantxcape View Post

How much space do you have inside your case? IMHO the cylindrical reservoir is better because you can use it on top of the pump where the Bay Reservoir you need to tweak it a bit so it feeds your pump well (when you are filling your loop for the 1st time you need to tilt your case so the pump doesn't run dry...). But in the end it all depends on what you like the most and what fits well on your loop/case. Regarding the temps it doesn't really make a big difference if you have a bigger or smaller reservoir.
It's a bench chassis so i've pretty much got unlimited space on my bench i use for electronics and i also fitted a flow rate meter ... should i remove it? It also has a thermometer so i can check the loop temperature without actually pointing my IR thermometer or poking my K-type probe inside
I'm thinking of SLI'n 2 double bay res and a 40cm long tank together ... Hmm,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulvin View Post

Res is only needed to keep check on the water level and to make sure the pump doesn't get to run dry. Smaller res is usually preferred. Tube reservoirs are easier to mount in such fashion where it feeds directly to the pump.
I knew from my engineering days that more water always mean lower temps because of the water mass it needs to warm up
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveLT View Post

I knew from my engineering days that more water always mean lower temps because of the water mass it needs to warm up
Sure, but once it warms up it makes no difference. It might take 1 minute or 15, but the water temperature will eventually equalize in the loop. The bigger res makes the loop easier to fill though, but other than that bigger res is just for aesthetics.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
12,731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulvin View Post

Sure, but once it warms up it makes no difference. It might take 1 minute or 15, but the water temperature will eventually equalize in the loop. The bigger res makes the loop easier to fill though, but other than that bigger res is just for aesthetics.
Pretty much this.

That's way it really doesn't matter a whole lot (maybe 1-3C) the order of the components in your loop. Once the water in the loop reaches maximum temperature (ie stasis temperature), it really doesn't matter a whole lot. Having said that, I will prefer to put a radiator right BEFORE a CPU and/or GPU. 1-3C cooler to that component is 1-3C.
wink.gif


I've used bay reservoirs, small tube reservoirs, large tube reservoirs. They all work nicely. For me, it pretty much all just depends on space and style.

The last two builds I've done with bay reservoirs, but I think my next build I'll be going with a large tube reservoir again. Isolating vibration noise on bay reservoirs is just a whole lot harder than on a tube reservoir.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top