Overclock.net banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put together my water cooling loop today and tomorrow I am going to actually put water in but I am incredibly nervous that something is going to happen. In my HAF X and all the specs in my rig below I am water cooling the 980X and 2x 5970's with a triple XSPC radiator and a single XSPC radiator. I also have the 655 pump in the dual bay reservoir and using all compression fittings. Here is the loop I have put together and I would like some input of whether I should change anything around:

pump>single radiator>cpu>triple radiator>top 5970>bottom 5970>reservoir>pump

I would like input please.

Also if something does go wrong which I hope it does not, how do I get water out of the system without getting fluids on the components?

·
Premium Member
6,988 Posts
Put the basics in your case:
  • Motherboard
  • CPU
  • Video Cards
So when you leak test, you won't have to worry about getting anything else wet if there is a potential leak.

Use lots of towels and napkins around each of the fittings, blocks, and around the pump.

Make clean cuts with the tubing since it's very essential to get it correctly around the barb on the compression fittings.

Your loop order is fine but what really matters is reservoir before pump. The rest doesn't really matter. The shorter the loop, the better.

·
Registered
378 Posts
What size tubing and fittings did you use?

Run the pump off of another psu/pc or jump the psu you have in the rig if nothing else is connected.
Dont recommend filling and running the rig at the same time big no no.

Place paper towels around fittings and blocks to catch water should it leak. This will also help in spotting a leak.
Too help purge air rotate the case and shake keeping the Res. as the high point helps best.
Should you need to drain due to a leak or months/year later for maintenance draining from the Res. is usually easiest but this all varies based on the location and accessibility.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by SimpleTech
View Post

Put the basics in your case:
  • Motherboard
  • CPU
  • Video Cards
So when you leak test, you won't have to worry about getting anything else wet if there is a potential leak.

Use lots of towels and napkins around each of the fittings, blocks, and around the pump.

Make clean cuts with the tubing since it's very essential to get it correctly around the barb on the compression fittings.

Your loop order is fine but what really matters is reservoir before pump. The rest doesn't really matter. The shorter the loop, the better.

I have already put it together and since I have the pump/res combo, that is all ready to go. I'll try to send pictures tomorrow. Also does home depot sell tubing that is used in water cooling setups. I might redo one tube that seems to pull a little instead of bending.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by SlaveOnDope
View Post

What size tubing and fittings did you use?

Run the pump off of another psu/pc or jump the psu you have in the rig if nothing else is connected.
Dont recommend filling and running the rig at the same time big no no.

Place paper towels around fittings and blocks to catch water should it leak. This will also help in spotting a leak.
Too help purge air rotate the case and shake keeping the Res. as the high point helps best.
Should you need to drain due to a leak or months/year later for maintenance draining from the Res. is usually easiest but this all varies based on the location and accessibility.

I am using 1/2 ID 3/4 OD and the correct size compression fittings. Are you suggesting that I take off the blocks, raise the reservoir while I fill and watch for leaks for about half an hour?

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
I think they got 3/8 not sure if they got 1/2

·
RGB Numba Wan!
23,344 Posts
install all components that will be part of the loop. stuff towels on or near the fittings and blocks. Jump start your psu (use paper clip, undo to "U" shape, insert on pin into the green wire of the 24pin connector, the other into a black/ground), check for leaks. Tbh, if you installed everything correctly and tightened everything up properly, double and triple check everything, you might not have any leaks. good luck

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just finished putting my loop together and it works pretty well, except on one of my video cards' cpus is running a little warmer than the others in game. 8 degrees warmer. Should I reinstall the WC onto the video card or could this just be a little air trapped inside the cooler?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.