Overclock.net banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here is my current setup that I have in transit, on it's way to me... Should be here by next week.

Swiftech Apogee GTZ
Swiftech MCR240 + 2 medium speed Yate Loons
Swiftech MCRES Micro v2
D5 MCP 655 Pump
Danger Den Acetal Fillport
Danger Den "Fatboy" G1/4" 1/2" OD Barbs
15 Ft. 7/16 MasterKleer PVC Tubing
Distilled + UV Dye + PT Nuke

I'm planning on buying the MCR320 and buying an additional bunch of Yate Loon Medium Speed Fans.

I'm trying to decide if I could use both the MCR320 + the MCR240 or just use a single MCR320 for both CPU and GPU. I'm not sure how it would work if I did it this way.

Initially, this will be a CPU only loop until I get the MCR320 and the MCW60-R2 (should I order them both together, to save costs?)

At any rate, this is my master plan with water cooling for now.

I think for simplicity I will just use the MCR320 to cool both cpu and gpu if I ever wanted to go that route.

Here is my Master Plan:

·
Premium Member
4,258 Posts
Hello fellow Canadian!

Loop looks solid!

The only potential issue that I can see is that the MCP655's outlet points straight up. I planned on mounting mine right under my HDDs as well but the tubing coming straight out of the top of the pump prevented me from doing so.

If you can afford it, why not get your MCW60-R2 now and do a CPU/GPU loop now?

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MCBrown.CA
View Post

Hello fellow Canadian!

Looks solid!

The only potential issues that I can see is that the MCP655's outlet points straight up. I planned on mounting mine right under my HDDs as well but the tubing coming straight out of the top of the pump prevented me from doing so.

If you can afford it, why not get your MCW60-R2 now and do a CPU/GPU loop now?

Yeah, I'm thinking that, even if I cant afford it, I may as well do it, just to save costs.

This will be my first loop but a cpu/gpu loop with a single triple rad should be fairly easy to do.

I'm not exactly sure how i'm going to route my tubing as far as the MCP655/HDD rack is concerned, but I'm sure i'll figure it out.

Thanks for your kind words

jam3s

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
You really don't need the fillport since you have the res already.

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo
View Post

You really don't need the fillport since you have the res already.

I plan to use it just for easy filling/easy bleeding.

I really dont want to open up my case every time I have to fill/bleed my loop.

Does this sound crazy, or does my rationale have some merit here?

·
Banned
930 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jam3s
View Post

not crazy at all.

it really depends on how often you'll fill/drain your loop... which isn't often unless you like to constantly mess with stuff like me

but umm, i'd also add a drain hose somewhere on the bottom with a spigot

·
Premium Member
4,258 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jam3s
View Post

Your rationale is solid. However, if you are planning to mount the MicroRES in a simple fashion (maybe with 2 small holes drilled though your mobo tray that screw into the U-brackets that come with the MicroRES? not sure how you planned that), you can very simply dis-mount the res when you need to fill the loop.

Just leave the tubing running into and out of the res a tiny bit longer than it needs to be, then you can remove the res from the case easily for filling (without having to remove the loop's other components).

Hope that makes a bit of sense...

·
Registered
444 Posts
Whoah jam3s
that looks like some dynamite gear and your "master plan" looks cool also.

A MCR320 would definitely be better than a MCR220. Like the previous poster posted, if it's copacetic with your pocketbook just WC' the CPU and the GPU at first jump.

ATM I use the MCW60-R WB to cool a low TDP eVGA 8800GS. I use a bowed Apogee GT WB to cool a stock Q6600 G0 CPU. Both blocks are in one loop cooled by a MCP350 pump, a MCR220 rad and 2x Yate Loon HS 120mm fans (under a Sunbeam fan controller) All but the WB's and some tubes are in a external container on the window sill. ATM my outside temp (according to Yahoo) is 41 F. ATM my CPU (according to a calibrated RealTemp v3.0 program) is 24c degrees at the hottest core, 21c at the coolest core and my GPU (according to Precision) is 24c degrees. Remember these temps are with the [email protected] GPU2 client on core #3 and the WCG clients on cores #0, #1, #2.

So I guess what I'm tryin' to say in a round about way is you should wait and see if you need the MCR320.

DCing for the CURE

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jam3s View Post

You can always just temporary connect the tubing+fitting when filling or bleeding.

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by pixie View Post
not crazy at all.

it really depends on how often you'll fill/drain your loop... which isn't often unless you like to constantly mess with stuff like me

but umm, i'd also add a drain hose somewhere on the bottom with a spigot

That's a good idea, never really thought of that.

I should put it at the bottom. What is a spigot? is that a Tee-line?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCBrown.CA View Post
Your rationale is solid. However, if you are planning to mount the MicroRES in a simple fashion (maybe with 2 small holes drilled though your mobo tray that screw into the U-brackets that come with the MicroRES? not sure how you planned that), you can very simply dis-mount the res when you need to fill the loop.

Just leave the tubing running into and out of the res a tiny bit longer than it needs to be, then you can remove the res from the case easily for filling (without having to remove the loop's other components).

Hope that makes a bit of sense...
I plan to mount it on the the 5.25" Bay Brackets, sorta like this:

I actually have to give alot of credit to xguntherc, since I used alot of his buildlog to help me with my own watercooling setup.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
You can always just temporary connect the tubing+fitting when filling or bleeding.

that's also a very good idea, thanks duckie

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by pixie
View Post

a spigot is like a hose faucet. just a valve that you can turn on and off.

sweet thanks pixie.

You guys aren't going to beleive this but Direct Canada, the place i'm ordering the Swiftech MCR320 and the MCW-60R2 from doesn't have the MCW-GT200 Adapter for mouting on my GTX 260.

I guess I'll just have to order the rad only :S

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by andenario
View Post

If you can find all your parts at NCIX just price match them to the parts you can get from direct canada (cheaper 90% of time) and go from there

oh wow good idea.

I didn't know NCIX did pricematching.

The only thing is they dont have the fans I want and neither does DirectCanada (the fan is Yate Loon D12SM-12).

I will have to order them from a seperate vendor

Also I'm wondering what should I do, should I order the MCW-60R2 with the MCW-200 adapter and then get the GTX200-HS full cover heatsink?

The only downside is that neither DirectCanada nor NCIX has these items in stock:

Yate Loon D12SM-12
MCW-60R2
GTX200-HS

anyone have any suggestions?

So far the only thing I can order is the MCR320 from DirectCanada and then order the Yates from a seperate vendor (they're called bestdirect.ca, never done any business with them)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts