Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am wanting to invest in my first water cooling CPU setup.

Can any of you put together a shopping cart of items for me? budget really isn't an issue but a UK Supplier would be good, Amazon or something. I would do it, but I'm not sure about where it would attach in my case etc.

I'm using the I7 975 in the Corsair 800D case. If possible, i'd like the thinner type of tubing. I'm not too sure what the best water cooling setup for this type of case is
recommendations would be good.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
318 Posts
Bare in mind that I am no expert in water cooling myself so take this with a pinch of salt.

I have selected a few parts from WaterCooling UK. Note that I have added 1/2" barbs with the selected parts just for quickness and I have also not added any coolant simply because distilled or deionized water is usually prefered for many reasons. The PT Nuke you see in the basket is for preventing growth build up in your water loop, such as Algae.

For Thermal Paste I'd recommend either IC Diamond or OCZ Freeze.

Hope this helps in some way anyway, at least until the water cooling experts arirve.

·
Premium Member
3,104 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitchell7 View Post
Bare in mind that I am no expert in water cooling myself so take this with a pinch of salt.

I have selected a few parts from WaterCooling UK. Note that I have added 1/2" barbs with the selected parts just for quickness and I have also not added any coolant simply because distilled or deionized water is usually prefered for many reasons. The PT Nuke you see in the basket is for preventing growth build up in your water loop, such as Algae.

For Thermal Paste I'd recommend either IC Diamond or OCZ Freeze.

Hope this helps in some way anyway, at least until the water cooling experts arirve.

I would just make a few changes to that:

1: That xspc res top was made to be used in conjunction with an mcp355 pump (but you choose the D5 pump + top). Personally, I would choose the 355 + the xspc res top.
2: For a rad I would choose the rx240 or 360 if you have the money to spend. Or maybe even the new EK rads (I've heard they perform quite nicely with low rpm fans)
3: Since you want the thinner tubing I assume it would be the 3/8ID and 1/2OD tubing.

·
Registered
422 Posts
It's not hard to find these products by yourself and searching around for prices using google or pricegrabber will probably be your best bet.

Choosing parts will also depend on how far you want to overclock and the amount of silence vs. performance you prefer. One of the kits sold by Petra's (what I bought in April) seems to cover this perfectly.

It consists of:

*MCP355
*XSPC top (or res top if you don't want to buy reservoir separately)
*T-line - cheap alternative, PITA to bleed
**Alternative to above: Swiftech micro-res - just plug it in and let it bleed itself
*Swiftech GTZ/Heatkiller LT (same as CU just in black, so down to aesthetics)/Swiftech XT
*7/16" Tubing or 3/8" tubing - either will suit you fine; Cathar (iirc) did a test on XS that showed there is negligible difference between the thick and thin tubing in regards to cooling. If you go for 3/8" ID - 1/2" OD, definitely consider the Primochill LRT tubing as it will help with tight bends and the kinking that many of the cheaper tubing will exhibit.
*Barbs - I recommend metal ones or even compressions as plastics are just a PITA to get off.
*Swiftech MCR320 (medium fans)/XSPC RX360 (low speed fans)/GTX360 (high speed, high pressure, loud fans)

I would stay away from Feser stuff as some tests have shown they have mediocre performance for their exorbitant prices. If you are bold enough, you could also get one of those huge Mo-Ra radiators.

Also, you'll be fine with a 320 radiator - no reason for going above or below unless you're going for a huge overclock or a silent setup (less fans or slower fans on a quad). 240 rad will run at stock speeds pretty well but will start to strain as you get higher and higher with overclocks. As a point of reference, I used an MCP355/GTZ/MCR320/Yate mediums combo and got load temps of 75 with an overclock of 4.2 Ghz.

Hope this helps!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts