Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!
Today I checked my system (I do it nearly on a daily basis) and, since I haven't done it in a while I decided to check it a bit "deeper". I noticed a little bit of sparkling coming from the fitting on the waterblock. It wasn't much, I couldn't see any clear sign of leaking and I have been using this system for months (4-5), I did though refill it a bit yesterday (only added some liquid due to the fact that the pump made some noises and when I opened it it pressurized). Anyway… I decided to take out some ear cleaners and see what was that sparkling (the sparkling itself was always there I think but I really wanted to check it out again) and to my surprise there was some… yellow/orange moisture???... or something like that. I'm curious if it's something normal after a few months or if it's a bad sign or something (and if it's dangerous). My temps are also quite strange, I have about 21 degrees in my house but coretemp reported temps varying from 14 degrees to 21 per core at the same time while I was using the computer not in load, haven't checked under load(My cpu is a 4930k, 6 cores).

Here are some pics:

Most of the moisture is on the paper below:

Sry about the dust.

Also, I checked the fittings on the radiator and they are a bit different… Not 100% clean but much less stuff.

·
Registered
513 Posts
How can you get temperatures sub ambient?

Either way it looks like oxidation. I had a fitting that would seep water so slowly you would never know except for the rust mark like you have.

Don't know if that's it but that's what my problem was.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked the temps better

soon after bootup:

1 min after bootup:

stress test:

immediately after stress test ended:

There isn't any overclock applied to the CPU

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oxidation? The antifreeze I'm using is supposed to prevent that... I'm currently using the pc, I'm not noticing any change around the fittings after "cleanup". I should specify that those samples were taken from the block before I started the pc.

It's red tubing (orange due to light) and the liquid is transparent pink (due to antifreeze). The moisture is yellow->black.

·
Banned
3,726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSayWhat View Post

How can you get temperatures sub ambient?

Either way it looks like oxidation. I had a fitting that would seep water so slowly you would never know except for the rust mark like you have.

Don't know if that's it but that's what my problem was.
he can't, its a normal read for that motherboard, mine does the same thing its about 10C below what they actually are for the idol temps, but the load temps are correct.

I think that the software was written for air cooling so it does not quite understand any temps below 20C.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The fittings came with the kit, didn't buy additional fittings except for the outlet system. My tubing is: Masterkleer tubing PVC 19/13mm (1/2"ID) UV-reactive dark red. On the seller's description it was stated that the tubing was high quality and non color changing.

What I don't understand is the moisture like composition... and the tendency to go black (as seen in the images at the beginning)

·
Registered
1,293 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I opened the reservoir and took some water samples on some paper and let it dry... There weren't any colored spots. The rads+pump+waterblock combo came with the kit, I don't think that they would mix bad stuff there... I hope so at least. I also added some alphacool compression fittings for the outlet system.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't think compression fitting would have made a difference. This "stuff" is where the barb joins the waterblock and there's an o-ring inbetween them... unless the o-ring broke for some reason...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That... that... that would suck so bad I couldn't even describe it... that would mean the o-ring broke on both barbs on the waterblock and I have to change them (maybe with actual compressione fittings? any reccomandation? EK?)... anyway... I kind of cleaned some of the stuff off... gonna give it some time and see if it accumulates back and in how much time (i'll deep check it on a regular basis).

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asaku01 View Post

The fittings came with the kit, didn't buy additional fittings except for the outlet system. My tubing is: Masterkleer tubing PVC 19/13mm (1/2"ID) UV-reactive dark red. On the seller's description it was stated that the tubing was high quality and non color changing.

What I don't understand is the moisture like composition... and the tendency to go black (as seen in the images at the beginning)
I've had 20 feet of masterkleer tubing in two different systems running DI water in one and just flat out tap water in the other (we have decent metal free tap water that plays nice) and I've never ever had any form of dye bleed from the tubing so I doubt it would be that. My guess would be an o-ring decided to degrade or dry rot, it happens but o-rings are dirt cheap and life moves on.

As for checking your system so often I just wouldn't. If you go through the process of setting up a loop yourself and have done your research you will know what needs to be done and where to take extra precaution to make sure sure things are done correctly. When I put a system together i do all of my fittings, both compression and barbs, and then as Im installing double check the fitting is set correctly. By the time I get to leak testing and getting the micro bubbles out of the system I know I wont have any issues. Most of the time my leak testing lasts for 10 minutes and I don't have to adjust anything for months. Due diligence early make it easy later on
thumb.gif

As for your below ambient temps its just that motherboard. It's weird and I prefer actuals but oh well as long as it is consistent through everything.
biggrin.gif

Btw the 4930k is a great chip and I'm sure you just want to take good care of it
thumb.gif

Just curious but are you overclocking it at all? It handles well with low voltages for 4+ ghz and can do work

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by glinux View Post

I've had 20 feet of masterkleer tubing in two different systems running DI water in one and just flat out tap water in the other (we have decent metal free tap water that plays nice) and I've never ever had any form of dye bleed from the tubing so I doubt it would be that. My guess would be an o-ring decided to degrade or dry rot, it happens but o-rings are dirt cheap and life moves on.

As for checking your system so often I just wouldn't. If you go through the process of setting up a loop yourself and have done your research you will know what needs to be done and where to take extra precaution to make sure sure things are done correctly. When I put a system together i do all of my fittings, both compression and barbs, and then as Im installing double check the fitting is set correctly. By the time I get to leak testing and getting the micro bubbles out of the system I know I wont have any issues. Most of the time my leak testing lasts for 10 minutes and I don't have to adjust anything for months. Due diligence early make it easy later on
thumb.gif

As for your below ambient temps its just that motherboard. It's weird and I prefer actuals but oh well as long as it is consistent through everything.
biggrin.gif

Btw the 4930k is a great chip and I'm sure you just want to take good care of it
thumb.gif

Just curious but are you overclocking it at all? It handles well with low voltages for 4+ ghz and can do work
I don't think it's the tubing either since it's red and not orange or anything like that. The system was done over 5 months ago, no problems since then. The black part might be dust, the yellow stuff doesn't make much sense since the liquid is pink (due to antifreeze) and it was shining...

Nope, no overclock on this one. I mainly to programming and playing and I never go above 30% cpu usage. Multi-tasking is awesome. Might overclock it in the future but for now I'll stay in the sub 4Ghz group xD

1 - 17 of 17 Posts