Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience water cooling a 450D or know whether a pump/reservoir plus a front mount radiator + fans would fit into a Corsair Obsidian 450D with a 1080 Ti FTW3?

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,197 Posts
Just buy a case with at least some WaCo support. Even something as simple as a Phanteks Pro M will be worlds better.

·
Overclocker in training
13,929 Posts
Hi,
Yeah I have 2 450D cases
Yes it's a tight fit with the ftw3 in both cases I have a titan Xp in one of them and it's still tight enough that I had to get shorter reservoir tubes
I'd post a picture but attachments are failing so crap forum moment happening :)

·
Overclocker in training
13,929 Posts
Big problems going on I give up lol :D

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Big problems going on I give up lol :D
Some pics would be great when they're working again! Pictures are probably worth a thousand words in this instance!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Does anyone have experience water cooling a 450D or know whether a pump/reservoir plus a front mount radiator + fans would fit into a Corsair Obsidian 450D with a 1080 Ti FTW3?
The fans are on the outside of the frame, so they don't matter as far as GPU clearance is concerned. I have a 54mm thick radiator in the front of my 450D with an EK pump top/reservoir combo mounted to it with EK's mounting bracket. That gives me just barely enough room for a reference-length (10.5 inch) card. If I switched to a slim front radiator I would not gain enough room for a card as long as the FTW3.

My suggestion for you would be to get a short reservoir and mount it on the bottom of the case, between the PSU and radiator and below the GPU. With the reservoir out of the way you'd have well over a foot of space, more than enough for any card you're likely to come across.

·
Overclocker in training
13,929 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The fans are on the outside of the frame, so they don't matter as far as GPU clearance is concerned. I have a 54mm thick radiator in the front of my 450D with an EK pump top/reservoir combo mounted to it with EK's mounting bracket. That gives me just barely enough room for a reference-length (10.5 inch) card. If I switched to a slim front radiator I would not gain enough room for a card as long as the FTW3.

My suggestion for you would be to get a short reservoir and mount it on the bottom of the case, between the PSU and radiator and below the GPU. With the reservoir out of the way you'd have well over a foot of space, more than enough for any card you're likely to come across.
That is one of my questions. The front fans on the 450D screw to the outside of the chassis in the "fan compartment". Could a slim radiator be mounted to the front in that compartment (where the fans are usually mounted) instead of mounted in the inside of the case? The fans could then be attached to the radiator from inside the case allowing more internal space? If that wouldn't work the short reservoir under the GPU seems like the best option as ThrashZone demonstrates which looks great!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thought a picture might clarify what I meant...

Hmm, having trouble with attachments here. Guess this will do:

https://s13.postimg.org/9fd754a93/450_D_radiator_placement.jpg

A standard fan is about 25mm thick. EK-CoolStream SE 280 (slim) is 28mm... I'm not sure if there would be any clearance for the radiator hoses mounted this was though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts