Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,I was wondering,is it possible to have watercooling on my video card without a pump?I mean using tubes,going to a home made reservoir.
I can't afford a whole system for that,and I would like just to try my card,
if it works properly,I will buy an aftermarket fan and heatsink. 8800gtx if you need the card info. Pictures of it : http://www.overclock.net/nvidia/5783...ml#post7222789 (resistance prob has been repaired,just giving link for pictures)

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,275 Posts
How would the water cycle through the water block?

·
Registered
956 Posts
As much as gravity is your friend, it'll will be impossible to cycle water through the GPU's cooling block without some kind of mechanism of force.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
lol goodluck sucking on your tubes everytime u turn on the comp

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andr3az View Post
Without pump your WC is useless like a condom with a hole.
Well.. that depends where the hole is.

@op- if you can't afford a whole system. I suggest you wait. A "extremely-passive" loop is pretty darn useless.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok,my dad used to be a car mechanic.He got a windshield washer pump,several if I am right.Do you guys know if it would work well?I would tear down the small pump and change the seals of course...Bring your thoughts.Thanks for tips,and thanks for letting me know your advice for no pump lol.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
If cost as an issue you can use used parts

Pump - DB1 - 30$ ---- perfect for a single block/rad loop
Rad - MCR 240 - 25$ ---- plenty of rad for a single 8800gtx. A 120 would work in a pinch
Res - poly T-line + plug - 5$
Tubing + fittings - Masterkleer + barbs/clamps - 8$
Fans - 5-10$

Total ~ 75$

I really cant see much cheaper of a loop especially if you have extra fans already.

What case do you have?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
my case is an old alien case.I would have to put my water cooling system outside,because I wouldnt have alot of space left.Unless I put the pump in the computer,at the bottom,near front usb.I already have the gtx block.It is a water cooled edition,already made for water cooling.Where do you get these pieces?I mean used ones.Tubing I can get local,but for the pump?Fittings,barbs,etc are obtainable also locally.

If needed,want a picture of my computer for the case and space inside left?

·
Registered
393 Posts
If you really plan on watercooling, do it right. A pump is not that expensive and will last for years to come. These are great little pumps and can move an amazing amount of water. I recommend the 480 ($12) for your purpose. The disadvantage is every model below the 1300 has to be submerged, however, the 1300 is only $20.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hmm,quite interesting...it absolutely fits my budget.
I will try to take a look if they ship to Canada,and the shipping price also.
Do you know if I can build myself a tank?Do you know what else I need?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Watercooling with out Fan = ok
Watercooling without Pump= Are you nuts?

But seriously tho... Water cooling a 8800GTX is not worth it as its a pretty old card and it would probably die in a year or so.

I know this because i have one and using it right now.

Edit: just saw that you already got a block for it... But still... you WILL need a pump no matter what.

·
Registered
490 Posts
If you are really skimping out this much on your build, why even bother at this rate. Home made reservoir is ok I guess, but how do you plan the cool the water? Are you making your own radiator or bong of some sort too? You can't just circulate warm water around the loop, it needs a way to cool.

Bottom line is if you don't have the budget, you should have just sold that block or something.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rpm666 View Post
How would the water cycle through the water block?
thisssssssssds

i think its like runnin a Megahalem w/out thermalpaste
not really smart IMO,since the water will heat up quickly and there is a great chance of overheating

·
Banned
9,264 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BANDIT_COROLLA View Post
Watercooling with out Fan = ok
Watercooling without Pump= Are you nuts?

But seriously tho... Water cooling a 8800GTX is not worth it as its a pretty old card and it would probably die in a year or so.

I know this because i have one and using it right now.

Edit: just saw that you already got a block for it... But still... you WILL need a pump no matter what.
it may be starting to show its age but its still the most amazing card ever built, performing up to 5x better than the previous generation flagship, the 7950GX2. not a single other graphics card has ever managed that to my knowledge.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts