Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 4970k that overclocks to 4.9Ghz very easily with no voltage change, the only issue is heat, I'm sure I can push passed 4.9Ghz but it would require new cooling, my question is, is it worth the money for a closed loop water cooler for the CPU?

I mean how effective are they? My budget would be about $70 and I'm trying to figure out the price to performance sweet spot, Id hate to put out money for small gains, and I'm not sure if going from 4.0Ghz - 4.9Ghz is worth the $70 it may cost for a closed loop water system, although its almost a 1Ghz overclock...

·
Registered
325 Posts
from the videos i have seen ( ie linus tech tips) AIO kits arent really worth it. now if you mean going all out making all the tubing yourself that could be different.

·
Registered
265 Posts
In my experience AIO kits have a high failure rate and is a pain to get replaced but if you get the right one, they can last a long time and you will notice a temp difference whether u go AIO or custom but for a custom loop, is more configured to ur setup, plus depending on the parts, can last along time.
I have had my current setup without changing anything for about 2 years now (accept the odd clean out which is rare), I do add stuff to it though, plus the only spare part you need is a water pump.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts