Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI going to build a new Skylake PC will use the Corsair 240D Air case planning to use the ASUS VIII Gene MB with I7 processor and 16G DDR4 Ram with the EVGA Gforce GTX 980 TI Gpu and I still can't decide on what method of cooling to use .Has anyone gone down the Air cool route as from what I can see on this forum most builds are water cooled ,any comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthebivvy View Post

HI going to build a new Skylake PC with this case planning to use the ASUS VIII Gene MB with I7 processor and 16G DDR4 Ram with the EVGA Gforce GTX 980 TI Gpu and I still can't decide on what method of cooling to use .Has anyone gone down the Air cool route as from what I can see on this forum most builds are water cooled ,any comments would be appreciated.
Depends a lot on your cooling budget. If you're spending a $100 or less on your CPU cooler, Air would be my choice as AIO liquid coolers in that price range just don't offer much. The Noctua NH-D15 is as good as any liquid AIO in that price range. 120 mm AIO just aren't very good. 240mm AIO aren't terrible, they just aren't really any better than a nice air cooler and some AIO are noisy and some just don't perform well.

In my opinion, purely choice on my part, if you chose to go liquid, a custom loop or a custom loop kit is really the only way to go. Even then, it really is for enthusiasts. You can spend hundreds on a liquid loop where as a $90 Noctua NH-D15 will get you 95% of the performance for significantly less cash.

I love custom loops, but they really are for enthusiasts who love to tinker and have cash to spend. From a price to performance stand point, it just doesn't make sense in most configurations.

·
✾ ✿ ❀ ❁
8,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Depauville Kid View Post

In my opinion, purely choice on my part, if you chose to go liquid, a custom loop or a custom loop kit is really the only way to go. Even then, it really is for enthusiasts. You can spend hundreds on a liquid loop where as a $90 Noctua NH-D15 will get you 95% of the performance for significantly less cash.

I love custom loops, but they really are for enthusiasts who love to tinker and have cash to spend. From a price to performance stand point, it just doesn't make sense in most configurations.
Pretty much this.

Full custom loop has the best potential for noise:cooling ratio and flexibility in cooling options. However it has the worst price:performance ratio. Regardless of that, I still have thoroughly enjoyed using a full loop for my rig for awhile now. It really comes into its own when you want a cool and quiet rig under load.

• Rep+
Reactions: johnthebivvy
1 - 3 of 3 Posts