Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I could use some help troublehshooting how bad this is:

Yesterday, I spilled a small amount of water directly through the vent of my tower. It shut down immediately. I did not smell anything terribly burned (normal burnt dust smell), and can't find any scorch marks. As far as I can tell, it only got on the top of the PSU (not inside), and directly on my EVGA GTX 670 (what I imagine is toast, though again, no scorch marks.)

I unplugged it, cleaned up the spill, and then ran a fan over it with a paper plate of rice inside the tower since yesterday. I also hair-dryed it for about 45 minutes.

Can't get any life out of it after waiting 24 hrs; should I just take the GPU out and try another start-up?

Thanks,
Ben.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It will start without the GPU inside; do I have any chance of saving the GPU or is it 100% toast? How can I try? Thanks, guys.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sorry if I didn't look hard enough for the rules regarding bumps, especially triple posts, but I could use some advice.

I let it dry for a while and will give it another go. Is there any way I can inspect for damage to the GPU? Will baking it help? I don't see a single burnt out spot on the IC. I know this doesn't mean it isn't damaged, but, any input would be greatly appreciated.

I mean, I can do SMT; just need the service manual. I doubt it's worth sending in for a repair. I need a new GPU now and I can't freakin' afford it. It's my fault, though, for being so careless.

Thanks, guys.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Card is probably dead. I would say it was shorted and fried.. Sorry to say that, but it looks like it is dead.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts