Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to figure out a good way of measuring the water temps going in and out of my radiator. I've made similar water temp measuring probes using copper tubing with a LM34 precision temperature sensor. My current idea involves putting the sensor in a T fitting and sealing the end (see pic). Ideally the sensor would not interfer with the water channel. So my question to you guys: do you think this would pick up the temps and not hinder flow? Or does anyone have other known ways of measuring temps at places other than the res?
LL

·
Premium Member
5,295 Posts

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eh, that is too expensive for my taste. Plus I'm not sure if I could interface that thing with my microcontroller.

·
Registered
53 Posts
You can use regular temp sensor attached to any of the fittings, difference compared to flow-through sensor is negligible in my setup, and reaction time is + half a second, which you can also neglect.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by fat_italian_stallion
View Post

could always place a temp sensor in the reservior

Then I can't get a delta T from my rad

Quote:

Originally Posted by austinb324
View Post

Two of these. And two of these.

That is actually what I was looking for. Though I still think I will make my own. I'm not a fan of calibrating thermistors.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by USFORCES
View Post

I use to just put a radio shack out door sensor, just the tip in my res it works.

I want the in and out temps form my rad. Putting it in the res won't tell me anything interesting. If it where that simple, I would already be done.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Those few degrees is what I'm interested in. I want to see just how much the rad is changing the temp of the water.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by goodtobeking View Post
So where do you hook up the temps sensors at?? I know this is a noob question, but I am stumped. Do you have to by a small LCD screen or can you hook it up to the computer so you can see it on the monitor??
You have several options. Lots of people have fan controllers and those controllers come with pins to hook temperature sensors to. Also some people buy devices specifically for displaying temp. readings.

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
That's what I use, a plastic T. I try just to break the waters surface with the tip just a little. There fairly non-restrictive. I run one right before my rad and after, I used to like playing with shroud/fan combo's is why the one before. If you would only use one right after the rad is the best place so you can get your rad out to room ambient DeltaT.

I cut it down to what-ever height I need, heat a little and wobble it out with some closed needle nose pliers. Then I try to catch 2 or 3 threads with a tap, put a little clear silicone in it to seal it up. Then I finish it with some heat shrink to help contain it a bit more and it looks a little better.

I have made them with no threads and they worked fine to since it's fairly low PSI, just be sure to silicone in well.

Here's a real old pic but you can see the one I have right after the pressure guage fairly well.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lievyon View Post
I'm curious as to why you want to know this information. What does it matter?
If you have to ask, you wont understand.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

Originally Posted by goodtobeking View Post
So where do you hook up the temps sensors at?? I know this is a noob question, but I am stumped. Do you have to by a small LCD screen or can you hook it up to the computer so you can see it on the monitor??
I'm in the process of building an external rad shroud (the thread is buried in here somewhere) with a custom built microcontroller fan controller and water temp reader. I've got a 4x40 character display that will mount on the side of the shroud. But like austinb324 said, some fan controllers have spaces for them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ira-k View Post
That's what I use, a plastic T...
Nice. I picked up 2 plastic t's from home depot, and I'm making my own sensors from LM34's and copper tubes. But yeah, looks similar to what I want to do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lievyon View Post
I'm curious as to why you want to know this information. What does it matter?
Cause I want to build something. A bored engineer is a terrible thing to waste. And I guess it helps me tell the performance of my rad.

Quote:

Originally Posted by austinb324 View Post
If you have to ask, you wont understand.

Everybody has to learn stuff from somewhere. Be more helpful next time.

·
Registered
405 Posts
In my current build I plan to use two of these:

http://shop.aquacomputer.de/product_...oducts_id=2293

to measure rad-in / rad-out temps. They are used like standard analog temp sensors so should work with any controller that has analog temp sensor input. They look good to boot and imho are not excessively expensive.

The linked sensor is the female/male version so ready to screw into the radiator before the fitting. They exist in a female/female version as well if needed.

/Nordar

1 - 20 of 20 Posts