Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting a new build, because my sig rig is toast. I have decided on my parts already. Except for a few things. Also, I have not picked a method of cooling yet. And I can't decide rather or not to go with water or air. So I figure here is the best place to ask my question. I will answer questions you may have for me.

The new rig will be used for the following

1. Overclocking

2. Gaming

3. Basic things such as , music, movies, browsing, and email

Also, here is the setup for the new rig thus far

i7 930
Asus Rampage III Extreme
Antec 850w PSU
I can't decide between the 5970 and the GTX480 (Help me decide
)

I have not decided on a case yet. Initially I chose the HAF X, but I dunno. I guess it depends on what answers I get here. I want a full tower case though. So, if you think you know of a good case thats big and roomy and has good airflow, shout em out

Finally, I really have a desire to WC this setup. But, I have no idea how to even tackle this project. I know nothing about watercooling, or how to set it up. Budget wise. Let's say keep it under $400

·
Registered
620 Posts
air is safer, but if your OC then go watercooling for the best cooling id say go with a h50 if your just gonna cool your cpu, get the 480 gtx nvidia are beast

·
Registered
221 Posts
Well lets get down to the basics of this thread, the dreaded question has been asked between water cooling and air, the debate will never end, but what us watercooler's do know is that it does make a difference but only if you wanna go the extra mile and make it worth it. Basically put, good money invested in watercooling will yield you good results, good money in air will give you ok results, it comes down to what you want to spend, and what you want to get out of that O/c chip. How high? What voltage? Daily running time? And what parts are going to be water cooled on your new sig rig, ram,board,cpu,gpu etc.? If you post what you want to water cool on you new rig then we can give a better anwser.

·
Registered
296 Posts
once you water cool your cpu and graphics card your NB will probably run hotter...mine did. My NB runs at about 55-60 C now...trying to put fan on it now to help.

Water cooling dropped my idle temps by 10 C and my load temps by 20 on cpu and 40 on gpu!

Deffinately worth it...go for it!

·
Registered
600 Posts
For the sole fact that you are even asking. Save yourself some time and money and just go WC. If you don't do it now and you go with Air. I promise withing 6 months you'll be doing water.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Go water cooling if you are one or more then one of these three people.

1.If you value Performance over cost.
2. If you value Appearance over cost.
3. If you value silence over cost.

If one or more of those interests you then you are perfect for watercooling.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Cox View Post
^^^
Booo Booo Booo

That's not really spam. . .It's still suggestion the happy medium between Air Cooling and Water cooling.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Cox View Post
For the sole fact that you are even asking. Save yourself some time and money and just go WC. If you don't do it now and you go with Air. I promise withing 6 months you'll be doing water.

You either know me personally, or are just like me, because your answer couldn't be farther from the truth. If I do air, I'll hate myself, and end up going water anyhow. I have the budget to do WCing. I can put at least $500-$700 worth in it, give or take. I just need a little help as far as parts go

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I would say just go with water cooling, You can build a pretty good custom setup for under $300, hell with right price searching online, you can get good parts under $200.

If you want to run 4.2ghz all year around on an i7, you will definitely need water cooling. Summer months are hell on air cooling lol.

edit : forgot to mention that if you do go with water cooling, if you are cooling just the cpu, a good 120 single rad is fine such as the Black Ice GTX, but if you want to cool the graphics card, cpu and other things, a 240 (120 dual) or bigger will suffice.
As for cpu block, a EK Supreme HF is great, or a Swiftech Apogee XT.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roweyi7 View Post
air can handle a stable overclock, its also much cheaper and less riskier.
Depends on the OC. More serious OC means higher voltages means higher temps/less stable on air. Cooler CPU guarantees a higher OC since it's basically one of two main limiting factors.

Less risky?

Only if you dont leak-test properly. Lower temps is better for the CPU so by itself its actually safer.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
IF you got the budget then go water cooling.
Like said before you will WANT to go water cooling, why not doing from the get go.
Think about it like this.
Would you skimp on a PSU..?
You would not..
Cooling plays a vital role in what we do if not then why not get a pre-fabb'd rig.?
All the cooling part suggestions are on que.
Trust me, if your debating on air or water NOW then you are gonna water cool later if you go air now.. *if that even made sense.
Water cooling parts have dropped in price in the past year or so and you can build an uber UBER water cooling rig with a 300 dollar budget.
Your future sig rig parts list looks top notch they deserve optimal cooling.
Shashooots
v1ral

·
Registered
600 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite illusions
View Post

You either know me personally, or are just like me, because your answer couldn't be farther from the truth. If I do air, I'll hate myself, and end up going water anyhow. I have the budget to do WCing. I can put at least $500-$700 worth in it, give or take. I just need a little help as far as parts go

I think you are agreeing with my comment not sure.

Here is the problem and almost every person that resides in the WC section will eventually end up on a full WC setup.

They may talk a good game now and tell you how you should do an H50 and so on. But an H50 is a good introductory tool for those that are interested in WC. However, it is also a gateway drug into WC. The H50 is comparable to the highest air coolers. There is nothing wrong with it but trust me you will end up selling it, after you mod it!

Use the knowledge on this board and get yourself a good WC setup that will allow you to grow into it. Meaning give yourself head room if you are going to do a CPU loop only now. Again I promise you will be adding the GPU not long after.

With your above mentioned budget you can do a nice loop.

For Rads go with the SR1 series or the XSPC RX series. Get a 360 size Rad.

For CPU blocks go with the Heat Killer or the EK Supreme HF.

You can't go wrong with either of the above it's personal preference.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Maybe think about what else you could do with the price of a full WC loop and go for air and put the money towards something else that will increase performance more, (Sli, Cross fire, SSD... ect) I think you would gain a more 'noticeable' performance increase with these than you would with an extra 300-400Mhz overclock that you would get with water.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts